Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tutorial for the removal of the oil pan out there?

I got quoted 1135$ for replacing the oil pan gasket and 177$ for the oil feed line.

I would like to see a tutorial, why this is going to take 6 hours of labor to replace the gasket and just do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Lol. there is no gasket. You just run a bead of sealant and torque it to spec. One hour, most of it spent cleaning the old sealant from the block and pan. As for the Turbo oil feed line it's maybe $25Cdn and takes about 5 minutes to change tops. If you've never done this before, give yourself 2 hours, that should give you time to sip on a beer. Just make sure you have the proper type sealant before you start and maybe a rubber mallet to tap the pan loose. Oil pan bolt torque specs are in in-lbs not ft-lbs!!!

If you can wait a few weeks for the turbo oil feed line or pay more at the dealer.

Ebay or Ali-Express maybe even Amazon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol. there is no gasket. You just run a bead of sealant and torque it to spec. One hour, most of it spent cleaning the old sealant from the block and pan. As for the Turbo oil feed line it's maybe $25 and takes about 5 minutes to change tops. If you've never done this before, give yourself 2 hours, that should give you time to sip on a beer. Just make sure you have the proper type sealant before you start and maybe a rubber mallet to tap the pan loose. Oil pan bolt torque specs are in in-lbs not ft-lbs!!!

View attachment 3903
View attachment 3904
View attachment 3905
View attachment 3906

If you can wait a few weeks for the turbo oil feed line or pay more at the dealer.

Ebay or Ali-Express maybe even Amazon

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

,[/URL]QUOTE]
Sneaky bastards...

Thanks for the info. Why does it take the dealership 6 hours of labor?

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
You have to pay for their breaks and lunch hour and the time they sip beer too. Or maybe they didn't want to do it and figured if they jacked the price high enough that you would go away. Your local Father & Son type shop would probably charge you 2 hours and do a better job.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
I forgot their potty break

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H3ll, I'll bring a case of beer if it'll cut the time in half. Hahaha oh and a piss jug, like the pros do it.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
If you are going to attempt this on your own, this is best done on a hoist with good lighting. Hope you have nice friends like me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So there's more to it then just drop the pan and put sealant and reinstall. I am assuming there's other things in the way?

Is it like the chevy sonic where the engine mounts need to be removed?

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Maybe someone else can answer that one, I've never done one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts