Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night on my way home I lost boost on the highway, was doing about 115KPH when the Trax started hunting for gears and not having enough power and torque to stay at that speed. Slowed down to 100 and it seemed to do okay when there were no hills. NO codes, no check engine light no limp mode. I made it home but it was late and decided to wait till morning and this morning I decided to wait til it warmed up a bit.
Since I had absolutely no boost I knew it wasn't the turbo, so it had to be the actuator or the vacuum switch wasn't coming on or if it was coming on it wasn't sending vacuum to the waste gate actuator. To make a long story short I removed the shield on the exhaust manifold and here's where I found the culprit.

The actuator had disconnected from the waste gate lever. Was I ever glad I just lost a "C" clip. It now works perfectly again, plenty of boost and didn't have to visit a shop. Win-win

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice find! Saved a lot of money that a mechanic would have charged you.

Can I ask what app/ software are you using to get the last image, showing boost etc?

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Torque Pro APP installed on my Android radio and Galaxy cell phone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What should the boost be at idle? I'm still averaging around 18 - 20 mpg and wondering if that's why my mpgs are low due to not enough boost???

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Around -10PSI at idle so in vacuum actually. Maximum boost I've seen is 13.5PSI uphill in sixth at 110kph. Accelerating onto on ramp to merge is 6 to 7. Taking off from dead stop in the city I'll see 3PSI. You can check for leaks by pressurizing the intake at 20PSI. It should not drop below 15PSI within 0ne minute. If it does you have a leak worth looking at somewhere. When your leak gets bad enough you will get an underboost code. I made myself this contraption to measure pressure leak in the intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts