Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car thinks i am trying to steal it and it’s doing a great job protecting itself.

key fob isn’t working (tried changing battery, didn’t help. i do think it got wet). if i tried to use manual key to enter, alarm goes off. putting key on ignition does not turn off alarm and won’t let me start the car. help!!

i do have another working fob so this isn’t the end of the world but it has me completely clueless on why my key won’t start the darn car.

thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my car thinks i am trying to steal it and it’s doing a great job protecting itself.

key fob isn’t working (tried changing battery, didn’t help. i do think it got wet). if i tried to use manual key to enter, alarm goes off. putting key on ignition does not turn off alarm and won’t let me start the car. help!!

i do have another working fob so this isn’t the end of the world but it has me completely clueless on why my key won’t start the darn car.

thank you.
the manual does state that the key will not disarm the alarm system. how is that real? i need help.

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts
Put the key fob in your first cup holder, the sensor should be somewhere in the middle of the console area.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thank you.
the manual does state that the key will not disarm the alarm system. how is that real? i need help.

thank you.
Put the key fob in your first cup holder, the sensor should be somewhere in the middle of the console area.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk
thank you so much for the reply. it’s not a keyless start though. will the cup holder trick work to “tell” the car it’s okay to use the key? i will obv try this but not at 7 in the morning as my neighbors must be sick of that darn alarm.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,836 Posts
When posting the first thing you should do is state year and model if you don't have it listed in your profile. It makes it very difficult to respond. For instance is it a flip key? If it is and was run through the washing machine or was dropped in slushy snow or water it will probably need an alcohol bath before it will work again. After it got wet, did you put it in a bag filled with dry rice overnight before pressing any buttons on the FOB? You may need to bring it to a guy like me for cleaning or repair. Should be shops in your area that do this. Or buy a new one, if yours has remote start they are hard to find on ebay yet. Dealer will want your first born.

This one?

Or this one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your reply. first key pictured (flip key). 2016 trax. not a remote start.
the only way it got wet was from me spraying it (lightly) with disinfectant after using it because of the current virus situation. i did wipe it out with alcohol. let it air dry (but it had been a couple of days since it got wet). changed the battery. nada.

it still doesn’t work but i have been able to use the key manually if i ONLY manually lock it and unlock. sometimes the alarm still beeps. but i put it in the first cup holder (maybe for zero reason but it was a suggestion) and then it does let me start the car.

i am planning on taking it to the dealership for my next oil change and maybe getting a new key.

it’s still a mystery to me so any insight you have is greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
1,836 Posts
I repair these all the time mostly because people use their finger nail to press the buttons.

After

Putting that style remote in the first cup holder does nothing. It is only for 2017 and up.
Transponder in the FOB needs no power, your vehicle will still start even if you remove the battery but not the newer style.

The newer style's DIC will tell you when you need to change the battery and they only last about 2 years.
Stealer will probably want over $200 to replace it unless you still have warranty. Don't tell them it got wet!!!

You can get these off of
and they are very easy to program once you know how to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
take a look here:

Helped me with my key issues..

·
Registered
219 Posts
For my 2015 I needed a third key, it was $75 from the dealer with the key cut, I did the programing in the parking lot myself. Stealer wanted $100 to program it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts