Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OnStar trial period expired.
After the trial all you get is OnStar Basic plan for 5 years including "RemoteLink Key Fob Services". So you lose "Vehicle Status" and "Map".
There is no place in the DTC to see your tire pressure that I have found! So losing the Vehicle Status is crazy!

The OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification (Access is available for 5 years from the date of vehicle delivery, and is transferable.
I also found out the OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification are only available VIA the OnStar website, email or text now.

I must have missed somthing, it was my understanding the we got to keep the RemoteLink OnStar Vehicle Status it was apart of the Vehicle Diagnostics.... BUT WRONG!
The OnStar Rep. said I have been the only one so far that has misunderstood!.... FOR REAL..?

So my question has anyone else misunderstood??

The lines below are pulled from My Window Sticker.
See the last line, it tells you what you will lose after the 6 months it does not list "Vehicle Status" and "Map".

OnStar Basic plan for 5 years including RemoteLink Key Fob Services, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics and Dealer Maintenance Notification (Access is available for 5
years from the date of vehicle delivery, and is transferable. Does not include emergency services. To cancel RemoteLink Key Fob Services or if your vehicle is sold,
contact an OnStar Advisor. See www.onstar.com/mobile for full details.)

OnStar, Directions and Connections plan for 6 months including Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance and TurnByTurn
Navigation. *Visit www.onstar.com for vehicle availability, details and system limitations. Services may vary by model and conditions.*

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never even bothered to activate the free onstar. It is still not worth it. On my last vehicles a 2011 and a 2013 I tried the onstar, the directions routed me down streets that dead ended at a river. it could never find an actual address including old addresses like a hotel that has been there for 15 years. or a house address that has the third generation living there now. best it could do was to get me to the center of the city that these were located in. Good thing I already knew where I was going. My 12 year old Garmin had no problems finding all of my addresses and routing me without having to jump over any rivers. A one year subscription to onstar costs more than that Garmin.

The Onstar phone minutes I believe are the most expensive minutes you can buy, and unused minutes do not roll over.

In 40 years of driving I have yet to lock my keys in the car where it would be nice to have remote unlock app.

Tire pressure sensors are notoriously inaccurate, I still rely on a quality pressure gauge.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a tire pressure warning lamp that will light up if a tire looses enough pressure, regardless of whether or not you have an OnStar subscription. So... Even if you can't see the tire pressure after the OnStar trial expires, it's still monitored and will trigger a warning light when there is a problem. There's bluetooth OBD monitors available that you can plug in and access with an android device, I have one but haven't tried it on my Trax yet. They pretty much tell you everything going on with all the sensors and stuff. For my new Trax, I'm not going to subscribe to OnStar after the trial period expires as we already have a Garmin GPS and cellphones.
On page 107 of the online owners manual it does say there's a tire pressure warning lamp... https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2016-trax-owners-manual.pdf

·
Registered
772 Posts
If a tire go's under 31 lbs, the display will show the air low pressure, and tell you what tire it is, it will also illuminate the low tire symbol.

The display will read the pressure number, like 29 then in small letters rf, rr, lf, lr, it will stay on, until you correct the air pressure.

I never buy Onstar its too much money for the little they give you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the salesman made a big deal "helping" me activate onstar.
It never worked properly.
I complained many times to onstar.
very slow response, and not helpful.
the last thing I want is them tracking me and providing that data to god knows who.
I tried to deactivate it with little success.

I will Never buy another car with such a device.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will Never buy another car with such a device.
Good luck, all of the major brands have their own version of onstar, they each just call it something different.
Ford has Sync
Chrysler has Uconnect
Toyota has Safety Connect
Honda has Honda Link
And the list goes on.

Sorry to say but just about any new car will be able to report your location to someone.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When it ran out on my Buick just recently I noticed I lost the XM functions and weather but the rest of the things I use are working.

Your better off without it, go back to driving a car like you are suppose to, check under the hood once and awhile, check the air in your tires once a month or before you make a long highway drive.

I lived a long time with out the help of Onstar, none of my other hundreds of cars ever had a problem that I didn't know about.

People today have to turn off the radio, drive to work one morning a week without the radio on.

Listen for noises that were not there before, hear a strange noise investigate it find the little problems before they become big ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts