Chevy Trax Forum banner

My trax and extreme cold

5830 Views 28 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Phin11
my husband and I bought a 2018 chevy trax and this is our second winter with it and it does not like the cold. Everytime he takes it on the hwy to go to work the engine light comes on and we have to put it in the shop. Our mechanic has told us it is the turbo that keeps freezing up and the last time we had it in they have informed us that GM knows about the issue but has no solution. They have told us that the car can be only driven around town and he is to use my car to go on the hwy. I do believe they are waiting til the warrenty is up so that we will have to pay.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Have this issue with my 2015 Trax purchased in August 2020. Has this issue on a long winter drive in February 2021. My son says last year too. And last week. Emailed GM Canada. This was their reply:
"
Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your 2015 GMC Trax. After looking at your VIN and the Service Bulletin. This repair would have been covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty and a Special Coverage A192272980 was issued to prolong the time to have this repair completed with customer reimbursement improved. As your Powertrain Limited Warranty expired on November 14th, 2020, and the Special Coverage expired on November 14th, 2021, GM Canada would not be assisting with the cost of this repair."

This was not a recall issue. So no notification. If I was notified at all I would have got this done. Going to my dealership.

That's why my new car is a 2022 Nissan Sentra.

Jim
Reactions: 1
Good luck with the Sentra lol. You can change the name but it's still a Datsun.
Have this issue with my 2015 Trax purchased in August 2020. Has this issue on a long winter drive in February 2021. My son says last year too. And last week. Emailed GM Canada. This was their reply:
"
Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your 2015 GMC Trax. After looking at your VIN and the Service Bulletin. This repair would have been covered under your Powertrain Limited Warranty and a Special Coverage A192272980 was issued to prolong the time to have this repair completed with customer reimbursement improved. As your Powertrain Limited Warranty expired on November 14th, 2020, and the Special Coverage expired on November 14th, 2021, GM Canada would not be assisting with the cost of this repair."

This was not a recall issue. So no notification. If I was notified at all I would have got this done. Going to my dealership.

That's why my new car is a 2022 Nissan Sentra.

Jim
Thank you for posting the reply from GM Canada when reading TSB 16-NA-405 it was not clear to me what the statement below ment

“For vehicles that are out of warranty and are identified on the Applicable Warranties section in the GM Global Warranty Management system, refer to Special Coverage #17157 or A192272980”. Now I know its for only 1 year.

The other item that is not clear is can an owner of a Trax located in a region that gets below (-18°C or less / 0°F or less) just have the repairs done or does the car have to show the issues first.

I have not been driving as I use to after I purchased my Trax it has low miles and it is always in my garage. I have not been on the highway during cold periods.
This could change and I do not what to possibly sell a used car in the future with a known issue.

I am located in a region that always gets below ( 0°F) and for many years I was parked outside overnight or in open parking lots during the day this issue is not good.

I do not understand how they can sell cars with this know issue and leave it at "buyer beware" I could never sell cars.

I still have 2 years on my powertrain warranty I will contact the dealer to see if I can just bring my car in to get it fixed.
If they say no the issue has to show up first I will have to decide do I want to go for a long ride on a cold day to get this fixed for free.

The supply chains are still having trouble so I think I will contact my gm dealer this summer about the issue I do not need the fix right now it's best to get the parts to people that need the fix now. I will update this post when I get a reply from my gm dealer.

My other concern is if the fixes listed in the TSB actually solve the problem. When I get time I will try to read all the posts on this issue in the forum along with other sources to see if I can figure out if the fix works. If I have to pay for this myself I want to make sure it works.

I do like my Trax and it's always worked for me and appears perfect for me (it has extremely low miles) but this cold weather issue is very concerning.
See less See more
To update . Got my Trax back Dec 30 . went to Cabelas then lunch . As soon as I got on Hi-way get check engine light and reduced engine power . Get email from Onstar , detected problem with emission system . bring directly back to dealer . They updateded me today . Catalytic convertor is plugged with oil . awaiting parts , unknown ETA . Sent an email to dealership manager . getting fed up.
It is shocking that GM can not build more reliable cars after 100 years of manufacturing cars.
But GM has plenty of money to spend on social issues.
It is probably not just a GM problem. The People I work for, said their Ford was doing the same thing when it got to around zero degree temp....???
It is shocking that GM can not build more reliable cars after 100 years of manufacturing cars.
But GM has plenty of money to spend on social issues.
What car manufacturers need is a test room where a vehicle can run on a dyno (set of rollers with resistance) and be able to control the room temperature to low levels up to high levels along with relative humidity. To simulate cold/dry and hot humid or dry climates.

For IC autos (airflow used to cool the engine by means of the grill (convective heat transfer)) would also need a fan to simulate that airflow. The exhaust is piped out of the room.

For EVs, I do not think the fan is required but EV batteries do need the above testing.

The data below shows annual profits for gm of around 15 billion per year starting in 2010. The cost of the above test run would be a faction of the interest from CDs on the above profit or the faction of the pay given to the top executives at gm. A large amount of debt that gm has my understanding is used to allow people to purchase autos that gm makes money on with the interest. They borrow at a rate lower than they lend to the buyer at a higher rate so, in the end, they make money on that portion of debt.

See less See more
my husband and I bought a 2018 chevy trax and this is our second winter with it and it does not like the cold. Everytime he takes it on the hwy to go to work the engine light comes on and we have to put it in the shop. Our mechanic has told us it is the turbo that keeps freezing up and the last time we had it in they have informed us that GM knows about the issue but has no solution. They have told us that the car can be only driven around town and he is to use my car to go on the hwy. I do believe they are waiting til the warrenty is up so that we will have to pay.
It's not just condensation... Got sick of taking my wife's 17 trax to the stealership and decided to check it out myself. There is almost 2 cups of water in the intake manifold! The entire induction system is full of water! The wastegate actuator is frozen solid.

So I talked to a guy that works at a Chevy dealer in Winnipeg that is a mechanic and he said that they know that's the issue, but Chevy won't do anything because that involves redesigning the entire intake manifold and induction system... So we are stuck with it if we live in cold climates... So they basically don't give a sh*t.
Reactions: 1
May 20/23 update . Dealership had my car for 5 month's . had a chevrolet spark rental car the whole time . got my trax back on may 10 , dealer said were on a wait list for parts . drove trax for roughly a week , now i have p0229 cel , reduced power . bringing back Tuesday. after 5 now turbo related failures in the 2 years I've owned the car ,and only 39000km i'm fed up . filed a complaint with 1-800GM drive , got a claim no. I have an extended warranty till 120,000 km , but frustrated and don't trust the car do go anywhere far. I cannot afford a new truck and dont want another GM turbo car . thinking about trading in for a 2020 caravan they have on the lot .

If anyone has any other advice on how i should proceed , i would appreciate , im in Canada . I did call AMVIC and were no help , and did talk to CAMVAP on phone but did not file compalint yet .
21 - 29 of 29 Posts