Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did not really need a new car but I've been driving my 2011 Avalanche too much in local traffic lately. Noticed Chevy was doing their 20% off thing again and I had some $$ on my GM card so I bought a 2017 LS AWD in Red.
Of course 4 days after I bought it I received an additional $750 coupon from GM card. Oh well....still a good deal.

I noticed the less than stellar reports from the automotive press. Low power, hi road noise, bouncy ride, poor MPG. All I can say is I guess when you drive around in $60k cars for a living, inexpensive cars are a disappointment.

I can't remember the last time I dragged raced anyone in an SUV. The power is fine even with the AWD drag.
Even on the highway it does fine on the 100 mile trip from NJ to PA we do weekly.

The road noise is no worse than my $40k Avalanche with the stock tires when it was new. It does not rattle any more either. On the highway it is not a Cadillac but what do you expect for a short wheelbase.

The MPG on the 1st tank is 25mpg on a mix of local and highway.

Anyone can make a nice car for $60k, The challenge is making a good one for $19k
For the price it is a good vehicle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have had many cars some were very expensive some I bought for near nothing.

You are right you are not going to get the ride and performance out of an lower priced AWD economy vehicle, like a 50K luxury unit.

I didn't buy my Encore to compete with high priced luxury SUV's I bought it to drive where and when I needed it.

For what you saved by buying a Trax or an Encore you can buy a used luxury ride for those days when you just need some papering.

When its not raining I have a new Miata to drive while not quite the Corvette I bought in 15 it does do everything I want a sports car to do but without the 50 dollar fill up at the pump.

I sold my Corvette, after a year or so of driving me nuts, with half of the money from the sale of it, I bought the Miata the other half is resting comfortably in my pocket where it belonged.

If I were to sell my Encore I would go out and buy another, because it fits me just fine its great on gas and will haul anything I need, without the expense of a truck.

I have had it with trucks also, the gas the tires the price of truck tags, the Encore will do anything I need at half the price and expense.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All of these assessments are relative. My other car is a 1975 Triumph Spitfire, so for me my Trax is a high-powered luxury car. As for MPG, the 29 I average with the Trax is a helluva lot better than what I was getting with the Jeep Wrangler that I traded in to get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think I'll be very happy with this vehicle.

I was no more happy with a S class Mercedes than I am with this Trax

·
Registered
187 Posts
I find that most journalists are pretty jaded to the average affordable car because of how many high performance vehicles they test drive on a constant basis. The trax isn't going to race anybody at lights, but it'll perform great as a daily driver and haul everything you need.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My Buick is dam peppy, its quicker than I thought it would be for a 4cyl.

I never planed on doing any drag racing with it, but I think it would do quite well against similar cars with the same power and weight.

You really can't drive fast anyplace because the roads are crap, so why torture an expensive gas guzzler at this point in time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts