Chevy Trax Forum banner

Need to install cruise control on my LS

69K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  mbrause 
#1 ·
I traded my 2011 in for a Trax recently. A week later I realized it didn't have cruise control. I didn't think they made cars without CC anymore. Now this idiot needs to install it. I've looked at after market units. My wife wants the control on the steering wheel. It is her car and I feel more responsible for the missed equipment.

Is it possible to install the factory equipment on the LS? I can't find a parts list for the car. With a motorcycle I can find every nut,bolt ,and sensor easily. Surely there is a parts list online somewhere.

#6 ·
GREETINGS......GO TO ROSTRA.COM....THEY HAVE THE CRUISE PACKAGE FOR THE LS (MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC)...i'VE HAD EXCELLENT LUCK PUTTING ONE OF THESE INTO BASE MODEL CARS....

I'M INTERESTED IN BUYING A TRAX....I TEST DROVE A LS M/T TODAY WITH 25,000 MILES ON IT.....IT WASN'T VERY QUIET IN THE FRONT END....DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS TIRES OR SOMETHING ELSE......

#7 ·
Cruise options

I've been out of the country for 5 weeks. But I'm back and looking for a factory looking option. I found the part numbers for the switch that goes on the steering wheel,the steering wheel trim,and the wiring harness from the switch that goes down the steering wheel column. From there I haven't found anymore info. I don't know if the factory just ties in to the ECU for everything else: feedback for brakes,neutral,throttle control,major bumps or wreck.

If I can't tie into the factory ECU and I need to use a Rostra CC unit, could I install the factory switch on the steering wheel and tie into the Rostra electronics? I won't usel a unit that requires me to install another lever on my steering wheel column.Especially one that I can't see hidden behind the steering wheel. And it must be a very flimsy lever the way it is attached.

#8 ·
I've been out of the country for 5 weeks. But I'm back and looking for a factory looking option. I found the part numbers for the switch that goes on the steering wheel,the steering wheel trim,and the wiring harness from the switch that goes down the steering wheel column. From there I haven't found anymore info. I don't know if the factory just ties in to the ECU for everything else: feedback for brakes,neutral,throttle control,major bumps or wreck.

If I can't tie into the factory ECU and I need to use a Rostra CC unit, could I install the factory switch on the steering wheel and tie into the Rostra electronics? I won't usel a unit that requires me to install another lever on my steering wheel column.Especially one that I can't see hidden behind the steering wheel. And it must be a very flimsy lever the way it is attached.
hae you spoken to someone at the dealer level, or better someone higher up with GM? I would imagine in this day and age, its a switch and software...

#13 ·
I have the same problem. I just bought a 2015 trax and said I wouldn't buy it without cruise. The dealer said , no problem , you bring it back next week and we will install the cruise. Then they found out they can't because GM won't release the software yet and the kit is not available from GM. Now I am screwed. They want to put the aftermarket crap in and it looks like something cobbled up. There is no convenient place to put the lever, then it is not under the vehicle warranty like the factory setup would have been. So, I got screwed and they can't understand why I am mad. I said , take your junk back and give my car back and they say they can't. My only option is to tell the bank to f*** of and come get the car. I ain't paying for it.

#16 ·
That is ridiculous for cruise, I would check around on your own,on today's cars the installation is plug and play.

I added a cruise on a new 09 Toyota Tacoma when it was new, when I was done you couldn't tell it was an add on.

The biggest problem I had on the Tacoma were the wire ends, the ends I got with the kit were so fragile they broke, I cannibalized an old CD player to get the wire ends needed.

#19 ·
All of the components are in the vehicle for cruise I put an aftermarket cruise in my Toyota Tacoma all it took was adding the lever to the steering wheel and plugging a few wires into the computer.

I installed everything myself in a 2009 Tacoma it cost me about 200 bucks for everything it looked like a factory installation when I was done.

#21 · (Edited)
Because if they can get you to buy the LT they will make more money.

Seriously you don't need much to install cruise here is one kit I found ushttp://www.rostra.com/2013-2014-chevrolet-trax-cruise-control-by-rostra.phping aftermarket switches

I'm sure sooner or later someone will intergrate the steering wheel controls then all you need to do is get a steering wheel off a cruze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkRu-XrIU6I

#24 ·
What about using the aftermarket kit but with a factory switch? I see the factory switch (mounts on the steering wheel, front, left of center) available online at a reasonable price. Would it be possible to hook up the aftermarket kit to the factory switch (instead of using the switch provided with the kit)?

#26 ·
When I installed the Rosta cruise in my Tacoma, I did use the factory switch, because the way Rosta does their kits you plug into the stock pins of the ECM

You weren't suppose to have a standard shift Tacoma with cruise and delay wipers but mine had all of those items because I installed them.

If the clutch on that truck wasn't hurting my bad leg I would have added power windows as well, it was a very nice truck all except for the stiff clutch.

#27 ·
Well, I just bought an OEM cruise control switch off eBay for $28, shipped. I'll order the Rosta kit and hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to get the OEM switch installed and working. If not, I can always throw the OEM switch back on eBay and sell it and use the Rosta switch.

#31 · (Edited)
Is there someone moderating this forum? I keep trying to post and all I get is my message that it will be posted after it's cleared by a moderator--but then nothing happens.

(Edit) Wow. That one just posted right away.

I had tried posting the question(s) Does anyone know if the cruise components for 2015 and 2016 are the same? And has anyone ever tried buying the factory cruise parts (from the website gmpartsdirect) and installing them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.