Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just got a 2019 Trax LT from a Honda dealer a few weeks ago I didn’t go there for a Chevy I only have ever owned Honda. I don’t know anything about chevy but when I drove the car it felt really nice I am vary tall 6.9 and it was nice to be in a car I didn’t have to put my seat all the way back. So first impression kinda got me that and the fact that the dealer has a lifetime powertrain transmission and engine warranty for as long as I own the car. it has 11,000 miles and still has the bumper to bumper warranty for a year and a half So I decided to get it. I’ve herd bad things about the car and I’m trying to keep positive I have I enjoyed it so far. The first drive on the snow the traction control was making a grinding noise don’t know if that’s normal? My seat squeaks and has a little movement to it. When I sit in the car with it off I can hear a slight humming maybe coming from the speakers . I Don’t want to trade in a car I just got because of what others say But in the long run I would rather get max value for the car now or in the next 6 months then run into problems in the future. Any advice that would help me ease my mind or make a choice is welcome I am grateful for the help thank you!!
I feel kinda stupid for not doing research but I went there for a Honda. This car seemed like a really good deal at$14,000 The previous owner added a lot of the add-ons that come on the premium.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
48 Posts
The way traction control works is by activating the brake(s) on spinning wheels to fool the differential into behaving like it has more grip than it actually does (an old trick that could be performed manually in the days prior to the existence of traction control). That feels/sounds like grinding, but it’s just the anti-lock brakes being activated in a fast, pulsating manner. Wish mine had that lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way traction control works is by activating the brake(s) on spinning wheels to fool the differential into behaving like it has more grip than it actually does (an old trick that could be performed manually in the days prior to the existence of traction control). That feels/sounds like grinding, but it’s just the anti-lock brakes being activated in a fast, pulsating manner. Wish mine had that lifetime warranty!
Oh wow that’s not how the Honda I have works! I know the sound of abs and it dose sound like that but because I wasn’t touching the brakes I didn’t think that’s what it was thanks for explaining! yeah the warranty is pretty nice it come standard on any car with 80k or less miles it also covers gaskets and bearings there is a $250 deductible on it though and if the repairs cost more than your car is worth they write you a check for the price of repairs LOL

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
48 Posts
You’ll also get a similar feel/sound when Stabilitrak activates. It activates when it determines that your car is moving in a direction inconsistent with the intended path.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’ll also get a similar feel/sound when Stabilitrak activates. It activates when it determines that your car is moving in a direction inconsistent with the intended path.
My trax is FWD not AWD I don’t know if the FWD has diff but I was confused that a long hold on traction control turns stabilitrak off but as soon you get a little slip it turns stabilitrak back on.

thanks again

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
48 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think the diff is basically built into the transaxle. And as I recall, ST will turn back on after switching it back on, or after a restart, or after a certain speed is achieved (35mph?). I’ve got to take a better look around during my next oil change.

Hey @Traxy, is there a middle diff on the AWDs, or does the drive shaft go to the rear straight from the transaxle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could be mistaken, but I think the diff is basically built into the transaxle. And as I recall, ST will turn back on after switching it back on, or after a restart, or after a certain speed is achieved (35mph?). I’ve got to take a better look around during my next oil change.

Hey @Traxy, is there a middle diff on the AWDs, or does the drive shaft go to the rear straight from the transaxle?
I talked with a tech from Chevy they said there is no diff on the FWD Trax so that sucks!

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
48 Posts
It does, it’s just incorporated within the transaxle assembly.

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Straight from the transaxle. Long drive shaft with a steady bearing in the middle.

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
48 Posts
Straight from the transaxle. Long drive shaft with a steady bearing in the middle.

View attachment 3892
So is the shaft always turning but disengaged at the rear diff until needed, or is it never turning and engaged in the transaxle when needed?

Edit: Answered in the other thread...

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Yeah shaft turns all the time.

Reactions: Prince Fan and HED
1 - 12 of 12 Posts