Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, i have a 2014 Trax with some sort of engine freezing trouble, im in Canada, brrr, -29 C today. Something on my Trax is freezing up, engine related, when the temp is below -1Centigrade. It will start fine, but it will start to smoke bad in a couple of minutes, bluish-white smoke. It runs rough. If i blow hot air into the air intake for a few minutes the car will start to run better and stop smoking and run perfect all day no matter how cold it is but will do the same thing in the morning after sitting. If i continue to drive it while smoking it will suck all the oil out of the crankcase in a few hrs of driving. I am hoping you guys may have a fix for this problem, obviously, something freezes overnight(intercooler maybe). I have has to replace the valve cover and installed a aftermarket pcv kit which is available online for these engines. This happens each winter and pretty much makes the car useless. What do you guys think, and possible fixes! Thank you very much for responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happened to me last winter . The CAC froze over . performance problems and blew seals on oil pan and leaked oil . . Warranty fixed all repairs . While at the dealer they give you a winter cover to put on grill and block off CAC . They will also check to see if your car has winter upgrades and add them for free.
The dealer actually told me it should be in preferably a heated garage . I have a detached unheated garage. So in the winter i put on vinyl cover make sure im plugged in . I may get a battery blanket and try to put on CAC overnights when really cold . But at the end of the day . Ive owned many different cars since 1991 . never had problems like this in the cold. -25 this week in southern Alberta . now leery of driving the car in this cold.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155048-9999.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I forgot to ask you if their fix was the same as mentioned in the attachment you included. Did they install a new intercooler as well or just the pcv heater. I have no warranty, the pcv heater is 1500.00 parts only and does not include the intercooler so the fix is very expensive. Your car must be newer if you still have warranty im thinking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has pcv heater and intercooler cover only . Yes my trax is 2020 , i got the extended warranty also . They checked my car over mine was new enough that the other heating devices was already added . Try to refer to the special coverage 17157. Its supposed to cover 2014-18 models up to 120,000 mi or 190,000 km Canada.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts