Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here and just bought a 2015 trax with 65000 miles on it. any maintenance issues or mechanical problems i should watch out for?? thanks in advance. and how reliable are these vehicles?

· Registered
2 Posts
Check for all items in your maintenance schedule in your manual.

Basics:

• Check the remaining life of your oil (check the manual)
  • Replace oil and filter and reset the meter
  • Inspect spark plugs and verify which model/brand and if they correspond to OEM specs, which by the age of the car, they must be the OEM (if you have some oil in the spark plugs, valve/cover gasket replacement might be due)
  • Inspect/replace engine and cabin air filter
  • Inspect brake pads

From there, common issues go from bad coil pack (it uses a single one, and no idea what's your engine), bad water pump, etc. Had issues with brake rotors (warped and wobbled), and were changed within warranty. Rack and pinion was also deffective. Check the forum, I can only speak for a 2013 1.8L NA Trax. Also BOTH front seats (internal back metal skeleton), had broken with passenger/drivers under 160lbs, within 2 years (driver',) and about 8 (passenger's).

Buy an OBD scanner (a 2$~15$ one will do the trick with CarScanner from the Play store), and run some diagnostics to check if you have any issues (this usually is done BEFORE buying the car lol).

Don't clear any diags without having knowledge of what you are doing. READ a lot.

My unit was assembled in Mexico, and I found a lot of installed parts to be the cheapest options in Rockauto (brakes, suspension, direction, etc). The car itself is Korean and was born as the Oppel Mokka and Buick Encore. So its kind of a Frankenstein within brands. Its reliable as long as you go with OEM direct replacements and follow maint. schedules.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts