Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 trax and as of today it seems to be missing when excelerating. It jerks something terrible. I took it to our local auto parts store to see if they could get a code on it but nothing. Check engine light isn't on and my “chevy app” isn’t picking anything up on the diagnostics. Anyone have any thoughts before running it to the dealership tomorrow?

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
If it's a direct injection 1.4l turbo and you do a lot of jigging around, start-stop, short runs and not on highways for too long chances are it is carbon behind the valves and it will need a good cleaning. This will not set codes because there are no sensors in there.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Which engine do you have?

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
According to GMPartsdirect there was only 1 engine in the Trax's sold in the US and that was the 1.4l Turbo. Unless you brought it in from outside. All Canadian models were also all 1.4l Turbo.

Genuine GM Parts, the Right Choice
GMPartsGiant.com offers the lowest prices for genuine 2017 Chevrolet Trax AWD parts. Parts like Engine Assembly & Partial Engine are shipped directly from authorized GM dealers and backed by the manufacturer's warranty. Parts fit for the following vehicle options. Engine: 4 Cyl 1.4L. Model Code: LS 4 DOOR SPORT UTILITY, LT 4 DOOR SPORT UTILITY, LTZ 4 DOOR SPORT UTILITY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then I guess its a 14 turbo because I purchased it in lebanon tn, I just dont ever remember them saying it was a turbo🤦🏻‍♀️. Sorry!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
It's okay, I still think you probably have carbon build-up behind the valves. GM knows about this problem with direct injection engines and may do it for free or under warranty. I throw in some fuel treatment once in a while, not cheap but cheaper than a trip to the dealer. About $20 a bottle.

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
The little extra you pay for top tier gasolines can save some headaches too. It's easier to keep components clean than it is to clean them after gunk has been baked on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you!! Between you and Traxy you guys have given me good sound advise and I appreciate it! The dealership called me and said it was spark plugs and coils!

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
But,but,but spark plugs and coil would have given you one of these codes, P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304....and engine would have gone into limp mode. I think they are up-selling you IMHO!

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny they said it wouldnt if it was the coils. Do you think they are giving me the run around? It never gave me a code at all! No check engine light or anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I dont want to be left stranded, i travel alot

It's okay, I still think you probably have carbon build-up behind the valves. GM knows about this problem with direct injection engines and may do it for free or under warranty. I throw in some fuel treatment once in a while, not cheap but cheaper than a trip to the dealer. About $20 a bottle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you get it at Wilson County Chevrolet. Thats where I got mine. Its not direct injection. That engine was not offered in the US till 2021 on Trax models.. It has an LUV engine 1.4 turbo . I believe the Buick Encore did come with the DI engine on some models.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
Small world! Just completed a 2-week road trip with my Trax that included 3 nights in Lebanon. Just sayin.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
The link below shows some stations. It doesn't show Holiday gas stations
I watched a head-head-head comparison video where the guy ran engines non-stop for a couple of weeks before examining the valves. All (couple dozen) top tiers in the test performed very similar; all a vast improvement over non top tiers. There were two that stood out from the others, but just slightly. For premium grade, Shell beat Exxon. For regular grade, Exxon beat Shell.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I watched a head-head-head comparison video where the guy ran engines non-stop for a couple of weeks before examining the valves. All (couple dozen) top tiers in the test performed very similar; all a vast improvement over non top tiers. There were two that stood out from the others, but just slightly. For premium grade, Shell beat Exxon. For regular grade, Exxon beat Shell.
Thanks for posting that info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But,but,but spark plugs and coil would have given you one of these codes, P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304....and engine would have gone into limp mode. I think they are up-selling you IMHO!
My 2017 Trax did the same thing. No codes. I changed the spark plugs and coil pack. (Glad I ordered it with the spark plugs) One of the towers on the coil was burnt. No problems after installing the new parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts