Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if everyone elses oil filter is loose as in it can spin easily in the housing? Or should it be very tight fit and not move/spin? Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Which year? Hengst or UFI housing?

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
I don’t think they’re timed. They just need to snap together so the assembly can be inserted into the housing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Year is 2016 ls, The filter without the spring on top. I just purchased the vehicle and did the first oil change. The filter that was in it was right and wouldn't spin easily. The fram filter i replaced it with felt very loose and not a great fit. I just wanted to make sure the filter wasn't defective. How did one tell which filter they need. I've seen allot of threads on the different types but no way to tell which one is needed.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
The most definitive way is to examine the housing assembly. Housing castings include either “HENGST” or “UFI” embossed onto the side (zoom in on top side-by-side of photo). You can also look/feel for the valve mechanism (or lack thereof) within the housing assembly (see photo for what to look/feel for). Caps are either brown and include ribs around the perimeter (UFI), or black without ribs (HENGST). It’s possible that the caps were swapped in a (misguided) attempt by the previous owner to convert from one type filter to the other. The caps themselves should’ve been “fool-proofed” to prevent that, but their differences are merely aesthetic. Ensure that the filter (and cap, to avoid future confusion) match what is in/on the housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts