Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 LS model. I see that the oil filter is cartridge type, but to access it do I unscrew the cap from the top? Or do I have to drain it from the bottom first? What size is the nut on top?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
32mm, undo the cap and leave it, then undo the drain plug (15mm I believe ) drain oil then remove filter. Place new filter in engine then screw cap by hand until you hear filter snap into cap. Then you can use your ratchet to bottom the cap. No need to go all macho, just pull it snug. If you get a new cap seal "O" ring with your cartridge replace it. Next screw in your drain plug and fill with the proper amount and grade.

·
Registered
772 Posts
No mess at all, but make sure you use a quality filter I have cheaper filters collapsing on me.

The factory filter didn't collapse but the Pureolators did.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Also I forgot to mention, use a funnel long enough to bring the oil pass the rubber flap or your oil will spill over. I also suggest full synthetic. GM is now moving away from their blend because a lot of people would run their vehicles until the oil meter read 0% and by then the oil had already broken down and turned to sludge.

·
Super Moderator
34 Posts
We have just purchased (but not taken possession of) a 2018 Chevy Trax LT. I am looking for a solid recommendation of the required special tools for changing the oil filter. I've seen videos of a plastic device to drain the filter and a special wrench to remove the drained housing. Can anyone fill me in on exactly what I might need? I have lots of conventional tools but these appear to be rather special.

Thank
Skip

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Could a Moderator edit my post? I wouldn't want people to buy the wrong tool...
I would like to modify my post#2 but I can't there's a big mistake in there. On the 1.4l Turbo the socket size is 25mm not 32mm. the picture of the 32mm socket was just to show the type of socket needed and I had a brain fart. A 6 point is preferable to minimize damage to the plastic nut on the cover but a 12 point will do if you're careful. As for the drain plug my Trax has a 15mm head but I suspect that plug has been changed since my Encore has the original and it's got a 10mm head. So yours may have a 10mm also. Again here, a 6 point works better and just pray the last mechanic who put it on didn't put it on with trigger happy air impact.

Just ordered the last one these guys had. They are a popular item and getting harder and harder to find.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Socket-1-2-Metric-Car-Hans-Tool-8-46mm-Wrench-Various-Stainless-Steel-6-Point/263592635998?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=562647069060&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Here is a picture of the drain plug of my Encore "10mm" head torque at 14 N-m ( 10 ft-lb )

Filter cap says right on it "25mm" torque at 14 N-m ( 10 ft-lb )

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The red #, well this forum isn't very busy so in order to see if I should keep posting to a certain thread I post the view number when I post. If nobody bothers reading or posting, I know nobody is interested so I don't keep a thread alive just for me to read. I'm retired and have time on my hands but I'm not going to post if nobody cares. I've got the dashcam and infotainement thread that might die soon if nobody shows interest. A forum works way better when there's a dialogue going on.

Sure wish a Moderator would chime in so I know they exist or maybe they gave up on this place already!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Received my 6 point 25mm socket today from Hans tools. Very high quality tool. Money well spent.

·
Super Moderator
34 Posts
Traxy - something that I've found (with the help of my Dealer's Service Manager) about the 2018 Trax (at least with the 1.4L turbo engine) is that the oil filter is mounted in a way that it's accessible from above the engine. The filter housing peeks up along the driver's side of the engine. A 24mm socket or box-end wrench is required to take the cover off the housing. The instructions that the SM gave me say to unscrew the cover three turns and let oil drain downward for 30 seconds. I presume this oil gets into the oil pan because you're supposed to wait the 30 seconds before removing the drain plug from the oil pan. When the filter is drained, you remove the old element, insert a new element, and reinstall the cap (by hand and then torquing to 18 lb ft.).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't believe everything your service manager tells you.

Your service manager is wrong as usual and tries to make it sound more complicated than it really is. The head nut on the filter cap is 24mm. The torque spec is 18 ft-lbs or 25 N.m. Which is not a lot!!!

I always loosen the filter or remove the filler cap then remove the drain plug.

·
Super Moderator
34 Posts
Don't believe everything your service manager tells you.

Your service manager is wrong as usual and tries to make it sound more complicated than it really is. The head nut on the filter cap is 25mm and it says so right on it. The torque spec is 10 ft-lbs or 14 N.m. Which is not a lot!!!
The service manager copied a 4-page document for me. It's apparently from the GM web site that the mechanics use to get their procedures. The document is listed as being from the 2018 Trax and Encore Service Manual. A 24mm 6-point socket (3/8" drive, sold as an oil filter wrench) that I bought actually fits my filter cap perfectly.

My 2018 service manual should arrive later today (Thursday). I'm really anxious to see what's in it about the oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'll have to double check, I've made mistakes before. My 25mm fits on my cap so maybe it has changed for 2018.

I should start wearing my glasses:nerd:, I stand corrected before all of you. It is a 24mm and what is written on the cap isn't 25mm it's the torque spec which is 25N-m which translates to 18.5 ft-lb. I was wrong twice. I apologize SkipD

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
They don't have it on their Canadian site and Amazon.com won't ship this item to Canada and it's more than twice the price.

·
Super Moderator
34 Posts
They don't have it on their Canadian site and Amazon.com won't ship this item to Canada and it's more than twice the price.
There's a lot less price difference here ($7.56 US for yours vs $8.99 for mine). I chose a 3/8" drive socket vs your 1/2" drive socket primarily because my low-range torque wrenches are 3/8"drive.

My service manual set (for 2018 Trax and Encore) arrived while we were out this morning. It's obvious now why the price was higher than my older GM service manual sets. There is fully three times the number of pages in this 32-pound set than what is in either of my older manual sets (6 volumes vs 2). The shipping weight of the manual set was a little more than 32 pounds. The quality of this new set is superb - heavy smooth bright white paper, excellent text quality, superb graphics. I just need to learn how to find things and that may take a little while.

·
Super Moderator
34 Posts
Interesting point about my new service manual, Traxy. The pages that the local dealer's Service Manager gave me regarding oil and filter changes are virtually identical to what is in my new service manual set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts