Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,
Something wierd is going on with my oil life monitor. 2016 1.4 with 52,000 miles. I have always used Mobile 1 full synthetic oil and the correct filter for the cap. Every time I change the oil I reset the monitor and also reset the trip miles. No matter what the monitor says I change the fluid at 3,000 miles (it is normaly at about 50% when I change it) Last oil change was 842 miles ago. my wife drove it to work and back 20 miles one way. I had to make a quick trip tonight and when I started it the oil monitor said "change" 4% what the heck??
THANKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Did you check oil level in case it may be leaking? Oil monitor verifies many things in the algorithm level being one of them, time, start-ups, outside temperature and more. I changed the oil in my Buick Encore before I put away for the winter and monitor reads 70% with maybe 5 kilometers on the clock. It will probably be down to 40% by the time I take it out in spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No leaks. The extreme low temperatures and the extra warm up time before driving was my first thought. I can see how those conditions may cause a little differance than it being nice sping weather. Seems like you have a little of same issue if you can change change your oil, park the car and the monitor drops 30% without ever being ran. That takes me back to my point that I dont trust the system and change the oil at 3000 miles. No way top grade oil brakes down from setting or a temperature change. I can also see how the system could over rate the oil life when it should really be changed.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Common sense approach has always worked for me. Oil will not degrade any faster at the bottom of the oil pan than in the jug on the shelf especially synthetic. So I look at mileage, oil colour and smell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Di your wife drive in 1st gear at redline the whole trip?!?!? Seriously though, just reset it and see if it was a one time fluke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife has been known to rip and tear at times, but I dont think even she can cause and oil change to go bad at 800 miles LOL.
I did reset the monitor this morning before she left for work. After the round trip, about 40 miles it was at 99% sounds about right to me. At this point I am going with the fluke idea. I agree with Traxy. I change the oil when I feel it should be not the system.
I do also have a GMC witht the system on it and have never had an issue with it, but I still just use it for entertaiment and do what I feel is right. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts