Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Trax. Changed the oil because I want to use mobil 1 full synthetic. Put 5w30 in and new oem oil filter. Reset the oil life percentage to 100%. It is about 45 miles since it has been reset and already at 99%. Is this normal? Seems like short oil life like seems like it'll be 0% at about 4,500 miles.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
It's ok, any mileage put on new oil wil knock it down 1% or so because technically it's used at that point. Depending on how you drive, the rate of loss will change. If you drive more highway than city, the rate slows but more city than highway will accelerate the decline. Currently I'm over the 5,000 average from my last change but I'm at 44% because I had a lot of highway miles since then.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering say it's at 5% say at 5000 miles or 5500 miles can I wait until it gets later in mileage or would that be a bad thing? I've had cars where I change the oil at closer to 7500 or 10000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
My first change was at 7,200-ish, got it down to 9% life. It's really depends on what your driving style and daily routine demands of the oil. Here's a quote i pulled from the owners manual for the technical description.

"When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary and a message in the DIC comes on. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 mi). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset."

Personally, I'm fine with the 5,000 to 7,500 miles range but wouldn't push it to 10,000. Have to remember that the turbo shares the same oil as the engine, and I guarantee it adds to the stress on the oil along with the engine. Just monitor it every now and then, check the level every 1,000 to 1,500 miles and, and don't start drag racing the Trac; everything should be fine if you do those things.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oil is really cheap compaired to engines and turbos. I change oil when I get down to 20% oil life or 6K miles whichever comes first. Over the life of the car this will only cost a couple hundred dollars. Cheap insurance. The oil that I drain out at 20%/6K is pretty black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts