Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if the 2019 chevy trax could use 0w20 full synthetic oil year round without voiding the powertrain warranty? Im curious why the 1.4 liter turbo that creates around 170 hp uses 0w20 but the 1.4 liter turbo in the trax (luv) that creates 138 hp uses 5w30. Wouldn't it be beneficial for the luv 138 hp turbo engine to use the 0w20 oil also?

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Other than the engineering of the LE2 compared to the LUV, I think it may be a regional recommendations for oil viscosity; personally I wouldn't mind having the LE2 engine for the horsepower bump. But here's what I just pulled from the owners manual for my 2019.

"For the 1.4L L4 turbo (LE2) engine, use 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil

For the 1.4L turbo (LUV) and the 1.8L L4 (2H0) engines, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures."

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk if I'd do it but is it possible to exchange the le2 for the luv that's currently in the 2019? Is it as easy as a straight drop in?

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
It's probably possible, both engines are considered modular by General Motors. Now whether that's in it's construction or in it's installation, I'm not really sure of.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just curious why it lists the 1.8 and le2 engines in the manual. I never seen a 19 or 20/21 Trax with either of the 2 engines.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Foreign models are available with the diesel, there are also some 1.8L gas versions in Mexico i believe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts