Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone find their Onstar services beneficial? Enough to keep the service and to pay for it? I bought my '17 trax back in July and my trial is now coming to an end. I'm having a hard time deciding what is best for me or not on these services. As far as what I've utilized so far, i would have to say the Wifi. It helped tremendously to stream music while in a remote area on a road trip. Everything else, I didn't really use or need. What about you? Do you find any/all the services to be useful or no?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have yet to use ours. We passed on the Wi-Fi cause we have unlimited data with T-Mobile.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
We use the navigation quite often and find it easy and efficient. I also like the vehicle status reports. I view OnStar in much the same way as I view my AAA membership: Something that you don't appreciate until you really need it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We plug our phone up and Android auto takes over. We use that for gps. But with limited data plans, this could be an issue

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Today's cell phones are so powerful that OnStar is pretty much useless to me. My Buick free trial just ended and I won't renew and my Trax is a Salvage so it won't be renewed either. The first thing I do when I start my cars is hit the mute button so Sirius XM will never happen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Today's cell phones are so powerful that OnStar is pretty much useless to me. My Buick free trial just ended and I won't renew and my Trax is a Salvage so it won't be renewed either. The first thing I do when I start my cars is hit the mute button so Sirius XM will never happen.
I gave mine to over Pandora. But I miss some of the channels

·
Registered
206 Posts
I gave OnStar a try but it was not worth it to me. All the music I need is in my phone, the GPS in my phone is WAY better than what Onstar has. The couple of times I did try to use onstar it was unable to find a major Hotel that my 15 year old Garmin has in the data base, Onstar said that this 25 year old hotel is to new to be in their database but they could get me to the center of the city it was located in. Another trip I tried to get to my aunts house, she is the 4th generation in that house at that address, Onstar said it was to new of an address to be in their database but they could get me within 20 miles of it. The one time I did find an address that was in their data base it took me down a road that dead ended at a river and expected me to be able to drive across the river instead of using the bridge that was 2 blocks down. The times I used onstar to ask question about my car they were never able to give me an answer.

In areas that my phone has no coverage, Onstar also has no coverage.

Onstar is just a very expensive cell phone that can only call one number. With as poor of a job as it does on locations, I wonder if it would be any help in a crash or if it would end up sending help to the wrong place. In a bad crash it is realistic to to have the antenna torn off the roof rendering onstar useless.

I sure wish there was a way to completely remove it from my cars or better yet not have to pay for it in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
In the Trax I just pulled the plug in the mirror.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drive long distances 3 times a month to and from work so I find OnStar services to be quite useful (I have the middle of the 3 plans). If I was on a stricter budget, I would consider forgoing it but, that is not the case right now.

I use Wifi periodically when using my iPad (not while driving) and am even considering going to the 20GB unlimited plan. My phone is Sprint and the wifi is AT&T so I have options.

I buy calling minutes - a complete splurge - but it has come in so incredibly useful over the last couple years. One example was when I somehow dropped my phone at a gas station (someone snatched it up almost immediately). I didn't have to worry because I had the car phone. I could use my phone via Bluetooth but I use my phone for navigation and listening to podcasts so the Bluetooth interrupts everything. It's great if I run errands and forget my phone too.

I recently broke down and OnStar provided me with the codes of malfunctions. I enjoy the app, checking my oil status, tire pressure, etc. Also the GPS location of my car is handy for my husband to check where I am in my travels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts