Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to research this, but I’m having difficulty finding a solution. Recently, my CEL came on and when I checked the code, it came up with P0299, Turbo Underboost. I noticed at the time, that the car did accelerated poorly as if there was no boost. It would still accelerate but very sluggishly. Not that this car is any type of rocket. So, I connected my ODBII and ran the torque app to observe the boost level. I cleared the code and the car seemed to run fine. I was getting adequate amounts of boost when accelerating. But then later the CEL came back on and I lost my boost. When I would try to accelerate, vacuum would go down to “0” but no boost. Funny thing is, I went and cleared the code while I was driving and the boost came back. Then a few minutes later the CEL came back on and the boost was gone. I tried stopping the car, turning off the engine and then turn it back on to see if the boost would come back and it did. I did not clear the code, the engine light was still on, and I had boost.

If it were a vacuum leak, I would think that I would never have boost. If the turbo was broken, it would not be able to produce any boost. It seems as if the cars computer is turning off the boost, but not telling me why it’s doing this. I did clean out my air box and filter. I did a visual inspection of connection. I also disconnected the waste gate actuator to see if the lever mighit be stuck. I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and it seems to swing just fine.

Any ideas why the car is doing this?

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Check this video.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I’ve watched all of his videos. I figured it would take some time to zero in on the root cause. I was just hoping if anyone else had the same issue and found the problem, it might point me somewhere more specific. I’ll try to post up what I find. I pray I don’t end up having to replace the entire turbo.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
First thing to do is check for leaks by pressurizing the system. I made myself a gizmo when I suspected a leak.

You pressurize to 20 PSI and it shouldn't drop more than 2 PSI in 60 seconds. Mine was leaking a bit and I sealed everything up by tightening clamps and grease. Gained a few PSI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered a boost pressure tester. Also did the corrugated PCV hose modification using better hoses mentioned on the cruzeforum. Checked the flow of the PCV on the turbo connection and it seems to be failing. So maybe that is causing the boost leak, or at least one of them. Ordered a check valve that I’m going to install inline on the hose since it doesn’t seem I can order the connector with built in valve separately.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I need a bigger compressor. I can’t get the pressure past 18 PSI. However, even at only 18 PSI there is no way it’s holding between 16 and 18 PSI for more than 60 seconds. It pretty much drops immediately. According to the video, it shouldnt’ take less than 20 seconds to go from 20 down to 10 PSI and timing mine, it took about 28 seconds to go from 18 down to 10 psi. I couldn’t hear any hissing so there is no obvious leaks. The highest boost I’ve read driving is about 13 PSI but that is very hard to get to. Most of the time boost is under about 7 PSI. If I have a leak it must be above 10 PSI.

I also checked the wastegate lever again this morning and though it moves freely for most of its range, I did feel it catch at two points. One would be the extreme wide open where it actually sticks in place and has to be jiggled free. I doubt that it ever gets open that far though. The other point seems to be just before being completely closed tight. It’s a slight catch but I’m wondering if that’s what causes the CEL to be triggered.

If I drive gently enough, I don’t seem to trip the code. I went several days after clearing the code without it coming back up. But it I try to trip it and drive hard up long hills, I can get it to come up after about 10 to 20 minutes of driving. Next time it comes up, I think I’ll pull over, pop the hood and see if the actuator is stuck in an open position.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Try moving the 2 nuts on the actuator a couple of turns in favor of more boost, mine had that same catch just before full close. There is no bushing there and grease just gets burnt off. Mine works good lately and see 8PSi regularly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Traxy. I tried tightening the actuator arm one full revolution and it does seem to have helped. I’m getting boost more freely and I couldn’t trip the code on my usual test run where I’ve tripped it previously. I’ll have to see how it holds up over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue PO299 ...I haven't noticed any power change ...they just said car is fine and cleared the check engine light. said bring it back if it comes on again

·
Registered
3 Posts
P0 299 check engine light comes on and lose turbo boost...had it in twice they just reprogram and works for awhile then same thing.....had it to two different dealers..now what?

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
You obviously have a turbo issue. If it's still under warranty bring it back to the dealer and leave it there, if warranty is out then bring it to a real mechanic, he will look it with an endoscope and find the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My problem hasn’t come back. I checked the pressure, tightened some clamps, loosened the waste gate lever with some brake cleaner and tightened the actuator arm one revolution and the code hasn’t come up again. I’m way past my warranty now so been doing most repairs myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts