Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, searched the forums but couldnt find specifics on this issue. I have a 2017 LTZ Trax with around 49,000 miles. For several months now I have been getting a check engine light with code P1101 come up (MAF out of self test range). After researching numerous threads, I checked and cleaned the MAF sensor, checked and tightened all intake hoses, then ordered and replaced the Purge valve, still no fix, replaced the Valve cover with PVC valve and cleaned all electrical connectors including the wire harness.

The P1101 occurs only at idle. At times the engine would briefly go into a rough idle and reset, but the light will come on. I have connected a ZUS OBD reader to monitor in real time and found that the Check Engine P1101 illuminates when the Short and / or Long term Fuel Trim climbs at idle and reaches around 35. During driving the Fuel trim remains at zero or negative.

I have tried checking for an Air Leak around the hoses and intake with Carb cleaner, but that yielded no results as no change in engine idle happened.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Long shot but have your changed the cabin filter? Cheap and simple to install.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long shot but have your changed the cabin filter? Cheap and simple to install.

Mmmmm, no. Did not think the Cabin filter could have an impact on a P1101 code? I suppose its worth a do, even if just for fresher cabin air

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
mjbjr25 You must have meant the intake air filter!

DJDern Did you check the water trap under the air filter? Did you remove the air filter? Sometimes rodents get in there and build a nest and starve the air going through the air filter which in turn starves the mass air flow sensor. This will set this code.

Sometimes they eat the bottom out of the filter and then you get the opposite, too much air flow, but this rarely puts out a code. If it was the MAF sensor you'd get a P0101 or P0102

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES >P1101:
THROTTLE BODY AIR FLOW PERFORMANCE/INTAKE AIR FLOW SYSTEM
PERFORMANCE > CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING
Verify the integrity of the entire air induction system by verifying that none of the following
conditions exist:
1. Any damaged, improperly installed, collapsed, or restricted components
2. Loose clamps, cracks, or other damage
3. An air flow restriction
4. Restricted air filter
5. Splits, kinks, leaks, or improper connections at the vacuum hoses
6. Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, MAP sensor, and throttle body
7. Water intrusion
8. Any snow or ice buildup, in cold climates
9. Contamination of the MAF sensor element
Missing, restricted, or leaking exhaust components-Refer to Symptoms - Engine
Exhaust for further diagnosis.

An other little demon with these vehicles is the battery. A failing but yet still good battery will cause all kinds of gremlins because the sensors in these vehicle need regulated 11 volts. If at idle when the alternator cuts out because the engine is turning too slow and you happen to have a weak cell and voltage drops to 10.25 Volts then all həll breaks loose. So if it is clear under the filter try swapping the battery with a known good one to see if this clears up your problem. Cabin air filter has zero to no effect on the MAF sensor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's called a cabin filter. It's in the glove compartment.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I know what a cabin air filter is, I change them twice a year. The thing is I can't see how this would have anything to do with P1101.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know what a cabin air filter is, I change them twice a year. The thing is I can't see how this would have anything to do with P1101.
I didn't say it would fix it I just said it was a long shot

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Longest shot I've ever read.:censored:

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
So was I! lol reason for the emoticon with the zipper:censored:

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mjbjr25 You must have meant the intake air filter!

DJDern Did you check the water trap under the air filter? Did you remove the air filter? Sometimes rodents get in there and build a nest and starve the air going through the air filter which in turn starves the mass air flow sensor. This will set this code.

Sometimes they eat the bottom out of the filter and then you get the opposite, too much air flow, but this rarely puts out a code. If it was the MAF sensor you'd get a P0101 or P0102

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES >P1101:
THROTTLE BODY AIR FLOW PERFORMANCE/INTAKE AIR FLOW SYSTEM
PERFORMANCE > CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING
Verify the integrity of the entire air induction system by verifying that none of the following
conditions exist:
1. Any damaged, improperly installed, collapsed, or restricted components
2. Loose clamps, cracks, or other damage
3. An air flow restriction
4. Restricted air filter
5. Splits, kinks, leaks, or improper connections at the vacuum hoses
6. Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, MAP sensor, and throttle body
7. Water intrusion
8. Any snow or ice buildup, in cold climates
9. Contamination of the MAF sensor element
Missing, restricted, or leaking exhaust components-Refer to Symptoms - Engine
Exhaust for further diagnosis.

An other little demon with these vehicles is the battery. A failing but yet still good battery will cause all kinds of gremlins because the sensors in these vehicle need regulated 11 volts. If at idle when the alternator cuts out because the engine is turning too slow and you happen to have a weak cell and voltage drops to 10.25 Volts then all **** breaks loose. So if it is clear under the filter try swapping the battery with a known good one to see if this clears up your problem. Cabin air filter has zero to no effect on the MAF sensor :rolleyes:
Thanks for this. Yes I have checked the Intake Filter. I recently had it serviced and replaced the filter. I also checked the filter box, intake before the filter and after the MAF to the Turbo. There was no gunk, dirt or leaks anywhere from the intake duct to the turbo.

I will check the battery, that is something I havent tested yet. Will do a load test on it and see where the voltage sits. Thank you for that! (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
With engine off, put a meter on the battery and turn your high beams on for 30 seconds. Battery should not go below 12.3 Volts.

As for filters I ordered these from ali-express and when they arrived they, to my surprise they were OEM filters. Boxes were mishandled by mail carrier but the filters were intact.

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With engine off, put a meter on the battery and turn your high beams on for 30 seconds. Battery should not go below 12.3 Volts.

As for filters I ordered these from ali-express and when they arrived they, to my surprise they were OEM filters. Boxes were mishandled by mail carrier but the filters were intact.

GENIUS!! Thank you, I wouldve been hesitant, but that is a bargain. I have just added it to my cart to order. Thanks Traxy 🙌
Will do the battery test this arvo after work.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
You'll have to wait a while, maybe a month, but well worth it. Hope China still ships to the US after all the tariffs imposed !!! Last time I ordered 3 set, one for my daughters Encore.

Reactions: DJDern

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll have to wait a while, maybe a month, but well worth it. Hope China still ships to the US after all the tariffs imposed !!! Last time I ordered 3 set, one for my daughters Encore.
I tested the battery arriving home from work. Engine off with lights on.

Started on 12.27v and slowly dropped over 30 seconds to 12.10v

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I'd say that battery is questionable. If you could get one just to try it out.

Reactions: DJDern

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd say that battery is questionable. If you could get one just to try it out.
Do you think the battery could be the cause of the Fuel Trim issue reaching >35% and kicking off the P1101?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Quite possible. These vehicles need a good battery. For instance most of the engine sensors need a regulated 11Volts to work properly including the MAF, If you can borrow a battery it would be worth trying. I don't know why GM went to these cheaply made batteries when the battery is so important.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts