Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Just for comparison I just tested my 5 year old battery. It might not make it through the winter but here are the numbers no load and 30 seconds with high beams on.

Reactions: DJDern

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
mjbjr25 You must have meant the intake air filter!

DJDern Did you check the water trap under the air filter? Did you remove the air filter? Sometimes rodents get in there and build a nest and starve the air going through the air filter which in turn starves the mass air flow sensor. This will set this code.

Sometimes they eat the bottom out of the filter and then you get the opposite, too much air flow, but this rarely puts out a code. If it was the MAF sensor you'd get a P0101 or P0102

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES >P1101:
THROTTLE BODY AIR FLOW PERFORMANCE/INTAKE AIR FLOW SYSTEM
PERFORMANCE > CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING
Verify the integrity of the entire air induction system by verifying that none of the following
conditions exist:
1. Any damaged, improperly installed, collapsed, or restricted components
2. Loose clamps, cracks, or other damage
3. An air flow restriction
4. Restricted air filter
5. Splits, kinks, leaks, or improper connections at the vacuum hoses
6. Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, MAP sensor, and throttle body
7. Water intrusion
8. Any snow or ice buildup, in cold climates
9. Contamination of the MAF sensor element
Missing, restricted, or leaking exhaust components-Refer to Symptoms - Engine
Exhaust for further diagnosis.

An other little demon with these vehicles is the battery. A failing but yet still good battery will cause all kinds of gremlins because the sensors in these vehicle need regulated 11 volts. If at idle when the alternator cuts out because the engine is turning too slow and you happen to have a weak cell and voltage drops to 10.25 Volts then all həll breaks loose. So if it is clear under the filter try swapping the battery with a known good one to see if this clears up your problem. Cabin air filter has zero to no effect on the MAF sensor :rolleyes:
@Traxy , I disconnected the PCV valve pipe from the intake manifold today.

1st I noted a lot of carbon buildup in the PCV valve pipe as well as when looking into the intake manifold.

2nd I did n blow / suck test on the PCV pipe and it allows air back freely on the suck, which probably indicates the valve at the turbo connector end has failed. I could also see carbon or oil like substance coming from PCV inlet to the Turbo.

So I am fairly confident the PCV valve pipe is ginners and I have ordered a replacement part which will likely take a couple of weeks to get here.

Question I have, is what causes such carbon buildup in the intake manifold? Could that be due to a failed oil separator in the Camshaft cover? ...... Note that I have replaced the camshaft cover with a new GM part about 4 weeks ago due to suspected failed oil separator valve. So is it possible the carbon buildup is left over from that?

Then, is it possible to clean the intake from carbon without removing it?

Any advice?
PXL_20201018_054129741.jpg
PXL_20201018_054638332.jpg
PXL_20201018_054129741.jpg PXL_20201018_054638332.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Did you check if you could see the orange rubber PCV valve in the intake.

·
Registered
2017 Trax LTZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I checked for it but it wasn't visible. It is there but covered and black with carbon. I tried using a cotton swab with maf cleaner to clean it but it didn't do much. Being Sunday, there wasn't any shops open here te get proper cleaner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts