Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. Well now that I fixed my drivers side power seat frozen (thanks Traxy, you were a great help and I bought the manual you suggested) now my right rear power door lock quit working. I got the panels off and played with it and lubricated all the moving parts hoping that was all it needed. But sadly that was not the case. I guess maybe the motor is getting weak or something. It just doesn't want to move the lock up and down enuf. Once in a while it does but most of the time it just barely moves the knob up or down just a little but not enuf to lock or unlock it. Could it be a bad/loose connection or just the motor going? Thought maybe the batt was getting low so I ran the car for quite a while but that did not help. Since there isn't a way to lubricate the lock from the outside I could only spray silicone as best I could from the inside. I thought maybe until I get this fixed I might be able to disconnect just the right rear door as to not put a strain on anything, is that possible. I see a couple of posts about 2016 and older but wasn't sure if it would be the exact same. I really love my Trax and it is like brand knew. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
If you unlock it manually, does it lock when you pull lever in drive?
I believe it is solenoid driven. If you were to apply 12 volts direct to it and see if it works that way. Pin 7-8, pin 3 will be ground or negative. This would be in your .pdf manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not remember if it locks when I put it drive. I didn't pay attention when I put the car away. I'll have to check it tomorrow. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I started it and put it into gear and nothing happened but the dash said the rear pass door was open and they were all closed. I guess when you have the panel with the power window button off it opens a circuit that says the door is open even when it isn't. I put the panel with the power window opener back on and the door open light went out so I started it and put it in gear and the door locked but when I try it a few times eventually it gets weaker and weaker and finally does not lock the door so I guess the motor is getting weak and about to go right? Also when I first got into the car and tried the door lock button all 4 doors locked and unlocked several times but eventually the right rear pass door did not. Is this a know problem with these actuators? It it a problem to replace one like you have to remove 16 things or something? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a way to unplug/deactivate the actuator for this door until I can fix it and just lock/unlock the door manually? Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
If you unplug the above connector but you might get a door ajar. Did you try cleaning this connector? It won't be the connector K9 @ the Body control module since it is the same signal for front passenger and left rear actuator. It as to be at the actuator, so maybe try cleaning that 8 pin connector first.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Here's how you can test the ground going to the actuator. It is common to the passenger side view mirror and the window switch. So if both of these work good chances are the ground black wire ( circuit 950 going to ground lug 304 ) is good, then you'll have to focus at the actuator itself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you unlock it manually, does it lock when you pull lever in drive?
I believe it is solenoid driven. If you were to apply 12 volts direct to it and see if it works that way. Pin 7-8, pin 3 will be ground or negative. This would be in your .pdf manual.

View attachment 3424
Where is this a23rr connector? I sprayed the contacts on the plug by the window button and sprayed 2 diff connectors that I could see with electronics cleaner. I tried hitting the lock unlock button about 20 times twice and it seemed to work every time. The pass mirror remote and the window switch both work. Before I sprayed all of this it would work 3 or 4 times then weaken a couple of times til it would just not move at all. If I pull the actuator how/what all do I have to do. I see 3 torx screws on the rear side of the door about handle level and nothing else. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
A23RR is the connector that connects to the right rear door actuator. I've never taken one apart but here's what the manual says.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I had it apart looking at it today. I could not figure out how to release the electrical connector from the a23rr so I could take it off of the latch assembly. I removed the 3 30 torx bolt to release the whole assembly/actuator from the door and disconnected the rod from the front but could not get it far enuf out to figure out how to release the electrical connector from it and I could not release the rod that goes up to the door handle which was keeping me from getting it out far enuf to see everything. I went to the dealer I bought the car from ( I went to high school with the nephew of the owner but he has since left the business--)hoping they could shine some light on the problem but they said all techs were busy and to youtube it like they do (that really gives me a lot of faith in the--NOT). At this point til I figure it out if I ever do figure it out I plan on buying a 4mm #7 coupler and removing the cap on top of the rod that pops up and down and extending it up an inch or so so I could at least lock/unlock it like we used to do years ago when things were much simpler and we could work on things without a manual and computer. Oh, the dealer there said it was over $150 dollars for the actuator, what a friggin joke. Makes me think we will be getting rid of this car. It'a a shame since I really like it and we have had zero problems with it up to now. I wish I could find a youtube for this car besides oil change and brake which I have done already and then it's usually just a similar car. What page are you looking at if we have the same manual? I struggle to find thing in the manual I downloaded from the link you gave me. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also couldn't see how to release the outside door handle which might let me get the whole assembly out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What bugs me the most is when I first get in the car it usually locks and unlocks a few times but then stops working at all til I come back later and try it again and I go thru the same sequence again--works a few times and then stops working.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. I was having this exact same problem with the rear passenger door lock on my 2017 Trax. Mine started about 2 weeks ago and seem to only malfunction during hot weather. When the weather is cooler is works fine and when the weather is hot, it would take more presses of the button to work. Anyway, I ordered a replacement on eBay and just swapped it out a few minutes ago.

The outside door lock is connected to the actuator with an orange plastic clip that clips onto a rod connected to the handle. It’s a bit tricky, but I wedged a screw driver into the clip and got it to pop open. The electrical connector has a lock clip that pops up. Once you pop it open, the plug slides out.

You have to twist the whole actuator unit to get the inside handle rod to pop out. The replacement seems to be working fine so far but I’ll have to see how it functions tomorrow afternoon when the temperature goes back up.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
I'm trying my best here....
The manual isn't paged it is menu driven.

Now if you would have paid particular attention to post #2 you would have seen the release clip on the connector and how it is released.

This is also in the manual...

You just need to examine the setup and take your time. Please don't start to jimmy rig your Trax.:cautious:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much, I see the orange plastic clip but haven't figured out how to open it. There is a slot that looks like a small screwdriver would fit in but didn't want to break it. Any more clarification on how you opened it? It has been warm here lately in Chicagoland so maybe. It just puzzles me that when I first get in the car it seems to work a few up to 20 or more times but sometimes it doesn't work at all or slows down and quits after 2 or 3 tries like it's getting weaker and weaker. The page numbers are on the top middle left next to the blue arrow. It took me a while to figure out how to do a search and see the page numbers. I have discovered how to find all these pics and have seen the pic with the A23RR with the 10 pin connector but haven't been able to see how to get it apart yet. Maybe I have to get it out more so I can see it better. On ebay where you bought your actuator was it a one time deal or did they have more. I have seen some. The dealer/stealor wants over $150 for a new one, what a ripoff. Traxy said if I get it apart it might need to be cleaned which would make sense with my problem coming and going but I gotta get it off first. I wear bifocals so it can be hard doing closeup work, terrible to get old (70 this year--although I'm not old--lol) Thanks sooo much. Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought the same thing about the slot at first but sticking a screwdriver in there doesn’t really help. Here are some photos to give you a better idea of how the clip works. It is a hinged mechanism. If you put a screwdriver in the slot, it just hits the tab that is locking it in. I wedged a small screwdriver along the side to lift the bar a bit to slip past the locking tab.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The replacement unit I got was a used one that was supposedly pulled from a low mileage 2019 Encore. It was listed for $41.25 plus tax with free shipping. The other option was a new one from China but that cost $10 more and would have taken longer to arrive. My plan is to take apart the bad actuator at some point and see if it’s possible to replace the electric motor and make it functional again. If so, then I will be ready to repair any other doors that start to go out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited by Moderator)
The replacement unit I got was a used one that was supposedly pulled from a low mileage 2019 Encore. It was listed for $41.25 plus tax with free shipping. The other option was a new one from China but that cost $10 more and would have taken longer to arrive. My plan is to take apart the bad actuator at some point and see if it’s possible to replace the electric motor and make it functional again. If so, then I will be ready to repair any other doors that start to go out.
I don't know how many pics you took during this process but you should really post a youtube video on this as there is nothing out there for the Trax except oil change and brakes. Thanks, Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts