Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 3rd fob for our 2019 Trax. It has the passive entry. The instructions in the manual are fairly clear but my question is about step 3. When you put the NEW transmitter in the cupholder do you take the existing two fobs out of the cupholder or do you leave all 3 in there together? Thanks

A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters. To program, the vehicle must be off and all of the transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be with you.

1. Place the two recognized transmitters in the front cupholder of the center console storage area.

2. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds. The DIC displays READY FOR REMOTE #3, 4 or 5.

3. Place the new transmitter in the front cupholder.

4. Press ENGINE START/STOP. When the transmitter is learned, the DIC will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.

5. Remove the transmitter from the front cupholder and press Unlock. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 3–5. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Just the new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So before you set the new one in the cupholder, you take the two existing ones out that were placed there in step 1, correct? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Yes, I believe that should be added to the procedure to make it clearer. It can only learn one at a time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Our certified 2019 only came with one fob so they set us up with a 2nd one for free. Now i'm greedy and want a 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I have a third one programmed to both my Trax and my Encore but they are flipkeys and procedure is slightly different. In your case it is a lot easier to program a third before you lose one than to program a second one after you lost one. Then the procedure is a full half hour and no way around it. This is to make sure a simple thief doesn't run off with your vehicle. Although you do need proof of ownership to get the key cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts