Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2020 Trax the radiator had a leak at the seal between plastic tank and aluminum core. We replaced radiator has no leaks. But still overheats occasionally does anyone know if there is an air bleed for the radiator on these? I bought an aftermarket radiator and cannot find any type of bleed on new radiator. Is there one on the motor. I've been on all the forums and can't find any info on this. Thx for any help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The expansion tank appears to be the highest point of the cooling system on these cars, so any air will ultimatley make its way there. I can’t see any other bleed point.
You can burp the system by squeezing the radiator hoses a few times with the expansion cap off to force any air out.
If it’s overheating randomly I’d suggest there is probably something else wrong than just some air in the cooling system.
I’d suspect it’s either a stuck thermostat or a leaking head gasket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I remember right the radiator bleed is on the inside (engine side) of the radiator, towards the top. I forget which side though but I think it was driver side. Flat head screwdriver opens and closes it. I only used it once and it made too big a mess so I now just slowly crack the expansion tank cap while the engine is hot and running (I dont take it off, just slightly loosen it and close it again) to bleed my 2015.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I remember right the radiator bleed is on the inside (engine side) of the radiator, towards the top. I forget which side thoufh but I think it was driver side. Flat head screwdriver opens and closes it. I only used it once and it made too big a mess so I now just slowly crack the expansion tank cap while the engine is hot and running (I dont take it off, just slightly loosen it and close it again) to bleed my 2015.
I can confirm this - I remember noticing that valve when replacing my AC condenser. The front plastic and metal below need to be removed so that you can see the top of the rad and condenser and from there it's easy to access the bleed screw. As mentioned above though, it shouldn't be fully necessary to do this since the surge tank is the highest point and any air will find its way there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts