Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice when I’m at idle my outside lights go dim really quick them back to normal and it sounds like it is Staring to idle really loud then Go back to normal. Also randomly the radio flickers off then back on at first I thought it was something to do with my phone being connected with the ax cord but even when I connect throw Apple play it does this. Could it be a fuse?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Do you have a check engine light? What year Trax?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Is your engine idling rough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes when I’m not moving.. that’s when the dimming of the lights start randomly I always notice it if I’m out side my car I thought someone was on my car playing with my lights..

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
At lower RPM the alternator charging the battery @14.3 Volts may cut out leaving you with battery voltage of 12.3 Volts. The flickering you see is the difference in voltage. Sometime this happens when a battery has a bad cell or if you have rough idle caused by misfire..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my battery did die about a week ago so it could be the battery.. when u say rough does that mean loud.. if I turn my car on and sit on the porch it sounds like it’s getting loud then it quiets back down.. is that idling? Also are u saying the radio flickering is the battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I would get your battery tested by a professional. Hopefully it is still under warranty. It may have a bad cell. Your engine should idle at 800 RPM pretty steady with slight variations when the AC kicks in. Of course it will get louder when the AC kicks in because cooling fans will also start. :sleep: Good night

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that’s when it sounds the loudest when the air is on. Is okay to take it to auto zone and let them test it or should o take it to the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Auto zone can test it but if it's still under warranty you will need to bring it back to a dealer for free replacement.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Yes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts