Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my Trax as a Salvage so no warranty. It's a 2016 LT and has the resonator rattle. It sounds like a bunch of marbles in a tin can. I know this is a common problem since it also failed on my 2016 Encore and on my daughter's 2016 Encore but these were replaced under warranty. These Encores both failed before 10,000Kms. The dealer replaces the whole pipe from manifold GM#95264844 $504 USd, my dealer wants $773 Cdn for this pipe.

My question is: Has anybody replaced this resonator with a suitable aftermarket because their vehicle was out of warranty or like me they had a Rebuilt vehicle?

The resonator on this vehicle is flat and retangular to retain road clearance. The ones I found are all round and would reduce ground clearance by about 2''. I've considered complete removing the resonator but not sure how noisy this vehicle would get at cruising speed. Don't really want to listen to a 2000 rpm exhaust drone.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had an older dodge that had a really noisy rattle in the converter, what I did was dent the outer shell to hold the core in place.

I used a hydraulic bottle jack to make dents into the shell, all you need to do is dent the shell to hold the material in place.

Give it a try its better than listening to that noise or paying someone 800 bucks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it the resonator or the converter?
I had a rattler once and I cut a hole in it, welded the broken baffle back in place and welded the hole shut, it was then fine for the next 8 years until a different baffle let go, more cutting and welding and that was fine to. A LOT cheaper than $773 Cdn. A new one probably has the same bad welds and will fail again too.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an older dodge that had a really noisy rattle in the converter, what I did was dent the outer shell to hold the core in place.

I used a hydraulic bottle jack to make dents into the shell, all you need to do is dent the shell to hold the material in place.

Give it a try its better than listening to that noise or paying someone 800 bucks.
I was think about doing this with one of those big wood clamps and making 3 or 4 good dents in the resonator before I go pay any money or cut it out of there.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today I lifted the Trax and crushed the resonator in 2 places near the front assuming it came apart where it was hotter from the exhaust. After doing this I started the engine and the usual noise upon start-up was gone. Maybe it wasn't cold enough yet so I will confirm tomorrow when I cold start it. Hope this works.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just make a few more dimples, use a jack and a block of wood to keep the cat in place if you need to.

The substrate inside breaks loose, what you need to do is hold it in place with the dimples, it might not be 100% effective but it works to stop the noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't suppose you took a picture of it after you were done.
2 days in a row with no rattle. I didn't take a picture because the camera on my HTC10 quit working again, but the clamp probably made a 3/16 dent on top and bottom in 2 places. I'll try to take a picture if I can get my camera booted again.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I gave up after the rattle came back. I went to a local muffler shop and had the resonator removed and replaced by a straight piece of stainless pipe. I honestly didn't find any difference in the sound at any speed except for no rattle.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol, went from 132hp to 132.1hp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Today I gave up after the rattle came back. I went to a local muffler shop and had the resonator removed and replaced by a straight piece of stainless pipe. I honestly didn't find any difference in the sound at any speed except for no rattle.

no check engine light right??

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, sensors are before the resonator.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to add a comment on the noise. I stated previously that I noticed no difference in sound at any speed and this is true, but after driving it for a couple of weeks now, I did notice that it was slightly louder under load like going up a hill just before it downshifts. This is not annoying in any way though because it is not much louder. So I still suggest that if your resonator's guts have come apart to replace it with a straight pipe, if you are out of warranty and you can't stand the rattling noise. My daughters Encore's resonator has been replaced under warranty twice, my Encore once and it's rattling again after 2500 Kms, so this is a common enough issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts