Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have recieved the recall on the lower control arms? I took mine to the dealer at the beginning of May to have it checked. Received a call 3 hours later saying they are keeping it and will provide a rental. A 2019 Silverado rental.
When I arrived to go over the issue they said it could take 2 to 4 weeks or longer before they get the new parts in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last I heard is that GM is creating a tool to measure the depth of the welds. Until that is created, shipped out. and a "lawyer instructions" is prepared its in limbo. My dealership didn't even know about the recall until I told them the day after the recall came out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 65 year old mom and I went shopping this past weekend because she needs something good to drive to Drs appointments this summer. We found a 18 redline Trax on the back row at a local dealer and she wanted it. The salesman told her that they couldn't sell it to her because it had a recall (seat track) and they couldn't sell it until the recall was completed. So a deal was made to make $1,000 cash down payment and mom was told that the deal could probably be finished in the next week. So it turns out after VIN check that it is this lower control arm recall and not a seat slider issue. Now Mom is pissed because she needs a car fairly quickly and who knows how long it will take for this recall to be completed. She's going to call the dealer in a little bit and see if they tell her it's actually the control arm recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a email from her.

" called and he said they are waiting on the parts and it'll probably be next week. I told him we saw on internet where its a control arm problem and theres no fix. He said it is and they've already fixed 2 new ones. I said some people have been waiting 3 months. I want it as soon as possible. He said they'd let me know when it comes in. I said I'd like it delivered too, he said no problem. So guess I'll wait.
"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update- went to the dealership to day and bo word on parts for it. They could not give me an ETA on when they will arrive. My car has been there one.month so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wait, So are people having to leave their cars at the dealership if the recall affects it? I just moved and now commute 100 mi. a day, part of which is on a dirt, rutted road. I am starting to wonder if I should take my Trax in instead of waiting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With the recall being a bad weld on a critical component, the lawyers will not let them give it back if there is any chance of it breaking and causing a crash. But then they are also required to offer you a loaner. I need to find if mine is on the list, maybe the loaner will be more fun than the Trax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received the letter about a month ago telling me to wait and I would receive further communications of when to bring it in to the dealership. I hadn’t received that letter yet but I brought my car into a ford dealership to get my oil changed and discribed a popping noise I hear when I go over bumps. Apparently it was the control arm and they marked it at Critical condition. I had it towed to a Chevy dealership and they immediately gave me a 2019 Camero (Equinox after finding out my son wouldn’t fit in the backseat) rental. They said that Chevy hasn’t even started to manufacture the new part and they have to use the recall specific part. They estimated it would take anywhere between 1 week to 6 months until I get my car back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Took mine in on Wednesday. Because on Tuesday I noticed my steering wheel was suddenly "cocked" to the right and a slight pull. I was told BOTH control arms failed. They are keeping Dinah "at least 30 days". BUT they did put me into a fully loaded Impala Premium. The Impala is honestly one of the nicer cars I have ever been in. And that includes BMW and Mercedes. I am happy with the car as I don't need my AWD trax until it snows again. Per my dealership they are to put people into "long term rentals" per Chevy corporate. My local Enterprise rental was saving every chevy that they had and putting people into anything they could.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any one have an idea what welds on the control arms are failing ? The control arm consists of two pieces (top and bottom)
welded together. Is it where the ball joint connects to the control arm or the other side where the control arm connects to
the frame ? DinoTrax, how many miles do you have on your car ? Any chance of getting a picture of the failure ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thinking of how all of the welds are done by computer it could be that it wasn't programmed correctly so the entire weld is suspect. If the weld didn't penetrate properly, which makes the most sense to me, its basically gonna fail wherever the stress points are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just got the notice today on my 2019..says to make appt on or after july 1, for a joint in one or both frt lower-control arms may have been improperly welded....so i have to wait til July??? ...i hope nothing happens, btw now and then..i guess its it a part they need? sounds like a re weld, but says parts to repair not currently available...got got this car in feb..hope its not a history of recalls, had alot on my ford escape

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did some reading and it looks like the bad weld is on the frame side of the control arm. It also looks like there was a recall
for the 2015-2017 Trax a while ago. Interesting the Encore isn't having control arm problems. I would think the parts
would be the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
It also looks like there was a recall
for the 2015-2017 Trax a while ago. Interesting the Encore isn't having control arm problems.
I would think the parts would be the same.
The Encore is manufactured in Korea and maybe only the Trax's manufactured in Mexico are affected. Both my 2016 are excluded from any recall. It would be interesting to see if the people affected by the recall have a "K" or a "3" VIN. I have one of each.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Everything I have researched says it is the Mexican manufactured, my VIN is a "3". That is why I am thinking it was a computer programming error. It is only effecting those assembled in Mexico, no where else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received my recall letter in the mail today. Despite the letter saying not to call or go to the dealer, I immediately called the service department lol. They recognized the recall and gave me an appointment for tomorrow at noon to get the control arms inspected. I was informed that there is a "guage tool" that gm has created to determine if the welded areas are faulty. The service rep told me that if the control arms need to be replaced, they wouldn't provide a loaner... I'm waiting for a return call from the service manager to verify this. How could gm expect anyone to drive around on control arms that they've inspected and deemed to be unsafe? Given that the replacement parts are not available, this is exactly what the service representative is suggesting I do. We have a camping trip planned for the fourth of July. How am I supposed to feel safe about taking this vehicle on a 600 mile road trip?!?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my trax inspected today. The control arms passed gm's test. The technician showed me the tool that they using. It's simply a guage they place on the control arm. They compare the marks on the guage with the welds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sister's brought her '18 Trax in for an oil change. They told her there was a recall. They advised they would need top order the part, but they would not release the car back to her until the part was replaced. It was been several days and the part for the repair is on backorder.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts