Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario, I get my 2016 Trax stuck in the snow and now I need to have it pulled out. I've done some research and discovered that I have no clue how to connect to the front end. The rear section has a tow hitch so thats no issue. I looked in the spare tire well and the only thing inside is a strap with hooks on the end. Now most modern autos have this square plug on the front bumper cover. You pop it off and screw a eye bolt into it. My car has No eyebolt and no spot behind the front bumper to screw into. I checked. That part of the frame that should have the bolt is a solid piece of metal.

OK, what do I do with the strap. where does it go or is there no recovery point on the front? The underside of the front end is sealed off with a plastic cover so there is no easy access there. I guess the question is, where are my tow points. Or better yet, recovery points.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only place you could safely hook up, I would be very careful here) is a lower control arm.

When cars were picked up using an ordinary wrecker, hooking up meant putting your hooks on the lower control arm.

A wrecker was used until front bumpers went away, if cars didn't have bumpers (and air bags that would go off) like they have today you could still pick it up on the control arms.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they recommend a flatbed or towing by wheel. Never thought about the airbag situation. I will be needing a oil change soon so I will ask the dealership the same questions. There must be a spot on the frame somewhere other than the ones used on the transporter. Like I stated, it has a long strap with hooks, they must go somewhere. Thanks for your comment.

·
Super Moderator
1,924 Posts
I have a 2016 and they did away with the screw in tow loop even though the square cap is still in the bumper. Instead they welded a tow loop onto the K frame on the passenger side.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That looks like a real inconvenient spot tot get to if you are stuck. Stuck usually means the wheels are sunk into something and the frame is on whatever you are stuck in. I would believe that that loop welded there is a tie down point for transport, but not really a good tow point to try to pull you out of something.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That spot would probably double as the tie down for when they ship the car to the dealers, good spot.

That spot isn't really in a bad place tow from, hooking up on the hold down loop is probably the safest place to hook on the front of the car.

Its low enough not to cause air bag problems, you are hooking up right on the strongest part of the front end.

I never noticed them on my Trax or Buick but I wasn't looking for them.

Many brackets like that in the past were removed from the car, then shipped back to the factory for reuse.

Looking at the bracket it reminds me of the tow hooks built into chevy pickup trucks front bumpers in the early 2000's.

·
Super Moderator
1,924 Posts
You may be right but still better than hooking onto an LCA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to take a peek under the front end to locate it. It would be easy to miss and looks to be in an in-convenient location. The one on the rear of the car is quite easy to locate. If the car is bashed up, using the LCA wouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traxy, I took a look see under mine today and located the nearly invisible hook point. Talk about a tough spot to get too. I was looking around on the internet and noticed that tow operators run a strap through a front wheel for recovery. I guess thats another option.

·
Super Moderator
1,924 Posts
If you try to access it from the front is one thing but from the side in front of the passenger wheel it's right there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Traxy, I took a look see under mine today and located the nearly invisible hook point. Talk about a tough spot to get too. I was looking around on the internet and noticed that tow operators run a strap through a front wheel for recovery. I guess thats another option.

I don't think they would drag the car with the strap through the wheel, unless the car was wheel was damaged.

I know they use the wheel to hold it on the flat bed that is no problem, but dragging it up on the flat bed by one wheel sounds weird.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Often they have additional wheels that go under the car to move it without doing damage, seen it happen before. These are similar to go jacks to anyone familiar with them.
What we americans need more of though are the type of tow trucks that europeans have.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The kind that just lifts the whole car? We need more of these to prevent tow damage if someone doesn't know what they're doing. But the hook is fine if you're just stuck in a bit of snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts