Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
New here, from Australia and just signed up. I have had my 2016 model Trax for a couple of months now and lovin it. Started making some mods to it and its looking much better now with side steps, lowered springs and big wheels.
Check out my garage.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the forums ! Definitely going to take a look at your garage, what else do you have planned though ?

EDIT: Just took a look at it. That thing is dope man !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the Trax looks alright hey. I will be tinting the windows. I also plan on changing the exhaust to a twin. Later on maybe a little supercharger just to boost the grunt a bit. Its all dollars though, gotta save som up for more mods.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the threshold of 1000hp is insanity ! That's honestly amazing to see that this ecotec motor can be built to that standard. I would have never guessed we could have gotten that much out of them, I was thinking maybe 600 if that, but that my friends is what dreams are made of

·
Registered
772 Posts
You have to remember the ecotech they are using is the older model 2.2, our cars have the 1.4 it gets most of its power from the turbo.

The engine they are using, if it was the turbo version had over 200 hp at the start, they were bumped up to 240 for the pontiac solstice GXP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the above link. Not planning on going that far. Over here in Aussie we have some little superchargers that should fit under the bonnot. I wont be looking for 1000hp, just a bit of a boost. I have the 1.8 with manual version of the ecotech in my Trax. The 1.4 turbo had exactly the same power as the 1.8 here but the turbo was only available in auto which made it terrible to drive as the auto steels power from the engine. Plus the auto had weird gearchange habbits that just made it scream between gears when you put the foot down a bit and change down gears with the auto down change.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Big disappointment here there are no Trax or Encore manuals, I miss my standard transmission.

I only drive my encore on rainy days, I have a new manual Miata for the sunny days, the 40+ mpg isn't hard to take

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well... are there any transmissions that we could potentially retrofit in there that we have... ?
Many years ago changing a auto for a manual was a simple process, you could do it on a Saturday morning and be using the car that night.

Today there are so many different wire harnesses to make sensors work with the AWD and other electrical systems, its just not worth it.

I guess you could buy a new trans from a European model, but that would leave you scrounging for other parts.
The best way would be find a wrecked Trax, then use all the parts and wire harnesses but that also means getting a vehicle from another country.

Its sad to see the manual transmission is being replaced for convenience sake.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Manual drivers are a dying breed since so many people are not getting used to automatic and the younger generation is learning how to drive automatic.

Eben if you find parts from a wrecked Trax, installing everything is going to be a pain.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There is big money in dead automatic transmissions, upwards of $2K on average.

Where with a manual a clutch would run you 500.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is very true. Where I am, the minimum for an automatic transmission repair is like 1400$ because they'll always tell you the complete transmission needs to be "rebuilt".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts