Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday Sept 19 I purchased a new 2019 Trax LT awd with 25 miles on it. I guess it was sitting on the lot for over a year since at least July of 2019.
1.) I guess the oil has never been changed or tires rotated.
2.) I have driven it since I bought it and now have 100 miles. Could I have caused damage by driving it with oil that has been sitting over a year without been changed?
3.) Would the fact that the oil hasn't been changed in over a year even though the car does currently only have 100 miles void the power train warranty?
4.) Are the other fluids like coolant, Trans fluid, etc going to be OK having sit that long?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Last Saturday Sept 19 I purchased a new 2019 Trax LT awd with 25 miles on it. I guess it was sitting on the lot for over a year since at least July of 2019.
1.) I guess the oil has never been changed or tires rotated.
2.) I have driven it since I bought it and now have 100 miles. Could I have caused damage by driving it with oil that has been sitting over a year without been changed?
3.) Would the fact that the oil hasn't been changed in over a year even though the car does currently only have 100 miles void the power train warranty?
4.) Are the other fluids like coolant, Trans fluid, etc going to be OK having sit that long?

Thanks.
1. Probably not

2. I doubt you've done any substantial damage to the engine or turbo, but I personally would get the oil changed as soon as you can. Full synthetic oil doesn't have the short shelf life of conventional motor oil, and some manufacturers even recommend 15k or 1 year between changes.

3. There shouldn't be any problems with the warranty, should something happen in the short term, the responsibility should fall on the dealership for selling the vehicle in that condition.

4. All the other fluids should be fine, considering they're all in sealed systems and don't degrade the same way that motor oils do. The biggest factor in breaking them down is overheating more than a period of time. The antifreeze is at minimum 5 years, you can't access the transmission fluid to check or fill, brake fluid is generally about 2 years of shelf life but will last longer if the system hasn't been exposed to outside air. If you have the 1.4L engine, don't worry about power steering fluid. It's equipped with electronic steering and doesn't use any fluids.

Overall, just get the oil changed for if nothing else but piece of mind. I would probably run it to 500 miles that way anything that is pulled out during the break-in period comes out in the first change. But if it's bothering you that much right now, schedule an appointment for an oil change. If they ask you why, tell them plain and simple that it's sat too long and you aren't comfortable not knowing it's running on old oil.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might wait until 500 miles and then change it. By the way it looks like there is a difference between the Korean made and Mexican made trax's? I have the Korean made and it says on the oil filter cap use filter 25195775. Is this the same as 25195785 or PF2263G? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Yes, you have the UFI housing with the brown cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts