Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you take a key fob from another Trax and reprogram it to your car?

I purchased one from Ebay and am going through the reprogramming sequence and i can't get the one i just purchased to program. What's worse is the car is asking for key #2 and when i push the start button with the new key in the cup holder nothing happens. Now every time i go to start the car it asks for key #2 and i have to hold the start button for 10 seconds to get out of programming mode before i can start the car.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
Normally the reprogramming on your own works fine but in this case it almost seems like you might have to take it to a dealer if you can't get it going.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Before taking it to a dealer, pull the battery and let it sit out for 30 seconds. Then press all the buttons 3-5 times each. This should completely reset any power to the remote and start it like new. Then program as normal. That should take care of it, if not you have just gotten a bad key from Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Can you take a key fob from another Trax and reprogram it to your car?

I purchased one from Ebay and am going through the reprogramming sequence and i can't get the one i just purchased to program. What's worse is the car is asking for key #2 and when i push the start button with the new key in the cup holder nothing happens. Now every time i go to start the car it asks for key #2 and i have to hold the start button for 10 seconds to get out of programming mode before i can start the car.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.
You can only use that method to program a third or fourth keyFOB.
If you lost one FOB and you want to program a new one you have to use the 30 minute programming method. Where you turn the key counterclockwise 5 times in the driver's door keyhole, press start and wait 10 minutes, do this 3 times and then press start for 12 seconds. Like in this video

1 - 5 of 5 Posts