Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a 2018 Chevy Trax but unfortunately mine doesn't have a factory remote start. does anyone know if we can add a factory remote start after the fact?

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Some vehicles come remote start ready, all the dealer has to do is swap the remotes and enable the remote start option in the BCM. If you're lucky this is the less costly option. The ones that aren't remote start ready need and extra harness and a hood switch, more labor, more money. I believe the remote start ready RPO is AP8 or at least it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
You can call them with the VIN and ask if your vehicle is remote start ready.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the dealer and had the parts department lookup my vin. I was told they've never heard of a vehicle being remote start ready and oem remote start cannot be added after the fact.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Well maybe they don't do it this way anymore, times change. But I can't believe the dealer can't add an option to your vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also bought a 2018 Trax without remote start.
Mine is the LS model.
The LT models have remote start from the factory because they are keyless start here in PA anyway.
Crunch field does sell a remote start kit for the Chevy Trax that uses the OEM key fob.
I will be looking into that one myself.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The factory remote start is not as good as the aftermarket ones. I have added aftermarket remote start to many of my vehicles over the years, Even on my Silverado that has factory remote start I still went to an aftermarket. The factory does not let it run long enough to make a difference. With the aftermarket you can program how long you want it to run. and with aftermarket if it does time out you can start it again. not so with factory remote.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Not sure you are right on this one. The factory remote start is programmable and it will let you start it twice. Running time is programmable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Running time is programmable up to 10 minutes. Yes you can start it a max of twice only. When it is sub zero temps and I am in a motel and the dogs have to stay in the truck that is not enough time to matter.

My last one you could program an inside temp and it would run the engine as needed to maintain it, just like the thermostat and furnace in your house.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Not sure you are right on this one. The factory remote start is programmable and it will let you start it twice. Running time is programmable.
How is the programming done? Pointing to a section of the owner's manual would be fine if the instructions are there.

TIA.

Skip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts