Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding fog lights next month. That alone doesn't raise concerns about amp usage, as the bulbs are 35 wats (35 watts / 12 volts = 2.92 amps). I tend to think the charging system would be the same, with or without the lights. My alternator is 130 amps ('15). I am considering replacing the head unit and speakers, according to a parts store website, an alternator for a '15 traverse with a 3.6L is 170 amp. I am not finding info on size or mounting. I found a listing for a '15 equinox alternator listed as 125 amps. If either fits, I would get the appropriate cables. I am also open to the use of capacitors, if they are viable options. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super caps for a power bank maybe. But if you need a bigger alternator maybe mechman or just get your rectifier modified you wont charge at idle but should get close to twice the charging amperage at rpm.. Or have a custom built. However the reality is if you are adding 600 or less watts there should be enough stock headroom in the amp it can do 130 amp but you are probably only using 60ish amps at heavy load.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super caps for a power bank maybe. But if you need a bigger alternator maybe mechman or just get your rectifier modified you wont charge at idle but should get close to twice the charging amperage at rpm.. Or have a custom built. However the reality is if you are adding 600 or less watts there should be enough stock headroom in the amp it can do 130 amp but you are probably only using 60ish amps at heavy load.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts