Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy!

First time here. First time replacing hoses, not my first time working on the Trax or other vehicles. For about a month now I have had this undetermined leak that I believed was transmission fluid. So I had the tranny checked. Nope, you’re good to go they said. So I continued driving it, not finding this leak. Until last night, when I did a Roadie run and upon parking, opened the hood and found the coolant reservoir to have the slightest bit of fluid left inside of it. It’s leaking from the top thinner coolant hose, right at the clamp. Tiny nudges on the hose cause it to bubble when hot, clearly the coolant is seeping out.

All hoses are soft. I count and felt 7 of them. One of them has mesh on them. After hours of searching I see finding the hoses online as one of the most difficult parts.

96968694 - coolant reservoir bleeder hose
96968691 - coolant hose
96968499 - upper radiator hose
96968500 - lower radiator hose
55596898 - oil cooler inlet
95128281 - coolant reservoir hose

Is this all of them? Do I have something wrong? I feel like one of the first two vs the one on the bottom are duplicates. If I’m replacing one I’m replacing all, as they are all soft.

i count 7 by hand, as shown by grab in the images. Surely there is an easier way to find this all in one place, as opposed to the 5 websites I have been back and forth to.

of course the coolant will be replaced in this process.

please help and thanks. I inherited this vehicle and it is my means of transportation and it runs about 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I anticipated a coolant issue, but never considered the hoses as it’s never something I’ve had to do.
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Close-up Metal Electric blue Fish Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Mechanic Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Finger Gesture Wood Thumb

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
You really can't judge the hoses on these by feel. They are all soft, Refill your reservoir and try to find the leak. It could be leaking at the water pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really can't judge the hoses on these by feel. They are all soft, Refill your reservoir and try to find the leak. It could be leaking at the water pump.
its definitely bubbling out of the top thin short hose of the reservoir. The problem with that is the hose takes two days to arrive from rock auto for $20+ shipping, and the clamps won’t come for another day after that for another $20+ shipping. I’m having a hard time finding all these parts in one place. It’s like pick and choose. Meanwhile I keep delaying and the shipping time keeps getting longer, you know?

I did add more coolant to the reservoir. I TOPPED it off. It mostly depleted. It still bubbles out of the top clamp connection as mentioned, but I have no idea where all the rest of that coolant went. It’s not on the ground, it’s not on the parts any more than it was before (it went EVERYWHERE). Tranny covered in it, dripped all the way down to the engine oil pan. It used to leak every day, until the reservoir finally ended up empty. Then it stopped leaking. Not willing to put another $1000 worth of work into it for something as simple as hoses. I just can’t find them online anywhere. Called a salvage yard to see if they had a Trax i could scrap and she laughed at me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You Tube is your friend here. This same engine is in several GM cars so watch the videos and learn. Also watch a video on how to trace coolant leaks with dye, a black light and yellow tinted glasses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Right now I'm chasing a leak at the coolant water outlet, where the temperature sender goes in. Its the piece that the upper radiator hose goes into. It developed a crack a year ago which I fixed with a dab of jb weld, but now it seems the seal is leaking. Looking around to buy it, it's quite common and the Dorman replacement gets better reviews than the stock one. About $22, I'll get to it sooner or later. Mine isn't leaking anywhere that yours is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know but the water pump is usually the culprit. I replaced mine 3 months ago and the leak stopped. I purchased 1 extra water pump and 1 thermostat just in case as they are cheap here ($30 each)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts