Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Trax LT FWD. I live in a rural area that is often difficult to get cell phone reception for help. There are many potential causes for a flat tire, and often it takes time to get a flat fixed. The manual says it’s possible to put a “real” tire in the storage area, but to still restrict driving on it as a viable tire, basically saying there’s no point in doing so.
This makes no sense to me, having grown up with a spare tire being fully interchangeable with the others on the car. Why would anything be different about that now as long as the new spare fits in the compartment and meets all the other tire & wheel specs?

·
Super Moderator
324 Posts
I can understand this, especially in the case of the AWD models. It's mostly due to having a consistent tread depth on all four corners of the vehicle, and if you have a full sized spare equipped with a TPMS sensor or not.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
A lot of the new tires are unidirectional these days. Your spare would have to bidirectional and although it may fit in the hole if you have the sub option it may not screw on properly. The only draw back of the donut is the fact that if you have a flat in the front, you have to move a tire from the rear and install the donut in the rear. Other than that I don't see why you would want to replace the donut. I check it's air pressure once in a while and forget about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I changed my tires last year right before winter and had roughly 46000 miles on them.......went to the same size that was on it but a different brand have crossover tires on it not sure how good they are but that's what they had here in town, and there is still about half tread on them probably run them for awhile and see how it does here....I have always ran a Goodyear tire on all my vehicles, until I got the Trax, according to what I have been told they don't make this size tire....that's y I went to this other brand...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts