Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....like a dufus, I put some loose MDF board in my hatch yesterday. One quick stop and it slide, scraping against the interior plastic.
Nothing major, but some light scuffing on the plastic sides of the hatch.
Anyone know of a product or home remedy to "buff" it out a bit?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Lamf1977, a few months ago I shoved something heavy in the backseat so I could haul it home (desk-piece from work). It was somewhat heavy and as I was pushing it onto the backseat, I scrapped a little bit of the black plastic near where the door closes. Now, the two scrapes were not that big, but I could see them so I could not let it go. I checked out AutoZone online to see if they had anything I could use instead of a 'sharpie' and they have these "Duplicolor Paint (Scratch Fix)" pens you can use for the exterior of the vehicle going for a little over $13.00. Now, these are strictly for exterior damage, but the scratches were kinda deep, small but deep...so I needed something that would be somewhat thick. I went in person to one of our AutoZone locations in town and spend some minutes going through the shelves of "Scratch-Fix" pens. I found two, one in Silver-Ice (in case I ever needed for the exterior of the Trax) and a Charcoal black (the one I used for the scratches). The Charcoal Black was a bit too shiny for the scratches, but since the size of the scratches was not a big deal I didn't really care, I just wanted to cover-up the scratches with something of almost the same color. Depending on how you feel about the scratches, you could go and see if these are an option you want to go with. Now I know these might not be for everyone, but in my case they were better than the sharpie I used for the tiny damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's a scuff, you may be able to try a magic eraser to clean it up, but with the scratches, those are probably going to be an issue that can only be resolved with little bandaid situations that'll make it kind of less noticeable.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You get the dust and loose stuff off with the wet (rung out) towel, then the armor all or household furniture polish will help to hide the scuff.(this doesn't do miracle work)

Before armor all and car products we used spray furniture polish on seats and other interior finishes, everybody's car was lemon scented.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Could not let it go" is the perfect phrase! The scuffs inside are not bad, but I see them. My daughter thinks I'm nuts.
It's not really discolored as much as the texture looks different. Something like this was bound to happen...so the car is no longer new!
I won't be so self conscious when I try to pop the door panels off to change the speakers!
Armor All actually did help his them a bit.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
137 Posts
1000 grit wet sand paper and be gentle, not to sand the texture out of the plastic around the scuffs.
Wet the paper and wrap it around a blunt narrow object and just sand down. Won't be perfect but should be almost unnoticeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts