Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just bought a chevy trax with 76000 miles. don't know if I should AVOID changing the fluid because I changed the fluid on the first car I ever bought (it had a transmission problem to begin with and i thought changing the fluid would help but it didn't and it made it slip even more)
So basically my trax's transmission is fine now but since it only has 76000 miles on it I figure that if I'm gonna get a long life out of the transmission I should start doing regular changes every 20 to 40 thousand miles or so. I'm just afraid that if I change the fluid that it's gonna start slipping because I know that with with a high mileage car that never had the tranny fluid changed the worn metal flakes of the transmission in the fluid is the only thing keeping the gears of the transmission engaging and when you replace the fluid it's all new and slippery because there's no flakes in it and then it slips? is there a way to know if it's safe to change?

· Registered
10 Posts
so I just bought a chevy trax with 76000 miles. don't know if I should AVOID changing the fluid because I changed the fluid on the first car I ever bought (it had a transmission problem to begin with and i thought changing the fluid would help but it didn't and it made it slip even more)
So basically my trax's transmission is fine now but since it only has 76000 miles on it I figure that if I'm gonna get a long life out of the transmission I should start doing regular changes every 20 to 40 thousand miles or so. I'm just afraid that if I change the fluid that it's gonna start slipping because I know that with with a high mileage car that never had the tranny fluid changed the worn metal flakes of the transmission in the fluid is the only thing keeping the gears of the transmission engaging and when you replace the fluid it's all new and slippery because there's no flakes in it and then it slips? is there a way to know if it's safe to change?
76K is not a high mileage car at all.. If you don't know the service history you may as well do a drain and fill. If metal flakes are the only thing keeping a vehicle from slipping it has issues and should be in the shop having the transmission repaired. A drain and fill with the correct fluid to the correct level is perfectly fine on the trax .

· Registered
61 Posts
I did my first drain and fill on my 2015 Trax at around that mileage. It was a very dark color, didn't smell burnt though. It took three more drain and fills to get it to red. I'd do it if I were you.

· Registered
Trax 2019 LT AWD
34 Posts
I always start with the owner manual so out of interest I just looked up the recommendations on this issue and interesting for what is termed "normal use" on a 2019 Trax it is not listed at all to be changed at any mileage but under what is considered "severe use" is it recommended every 45,000 miles. If the recommendations were the same in the 2016 Trax owners manual and I just purchased a used car I may just get it changed to be safe. You can find the definition of normal and severe in the manual. I am not sure you can ever know for certain how past owners have driven the car.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If tranny is running well, do not bother changing fluid. I avoid changing transmission fluid in my cars, including Chevy Nova with 150k miles. Never had a transmission problem. But I am not a hot-rod driver either.
I'm not a crazy driver either, I just don't wanna have to replace the transmission at 150,000 (currently at 77,000)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i brought it to tranny shop they said the oil is too dirty to change I could cause damage, o well I'm not trying to set a mileage record

· Registered
61 Posts
did you do the three drain and fills right after the first one?
Nope. I did them the next three oil changes. A shade over 4 qts each time if I remember right.

· Registered
5 Posts
Look at your stick in light smell it I shouldn't smell burnt and look to see if there is a lot of metal flakes rub your finger on the fluid then rub your fingers together is it smooth or gritty if it's gritty leave it alone a let a pro do it that being said if it's low find a good transmission conditioner to help with the friction don't add more than one bottle if it's clean and smooth your good to go. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts