Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the Oil and filter on my wife's 2018 Trax ( using PEAK Full Synthetic 5W30 Dexos Approved Oil and STP 15,000 Mile Maximum Life Oil Filter ) and returned from a long road trip ( put approximately 3500 miles and drove for many hours at a time through 119 degree heat in the Arizona desert ) ... due to the nature of the drive, IE: Mileage and Heat, I'm considering changing the oil and filter although the mileage hasn't reached my usual OCI of 6,000 miles. I checked the oil upon returning home and it is still full but the oil appears to be pretty dark, almost black.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What is the oil monitor saying? I follow the monitor no matter what when using full synthetic and once it reaches 10% I change the oil. But if you're worried it won't hurt to change it prematurely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You just ran the oil through an easy stretch. Oil loves to stay warm for long periods of time and so does your engine. Your oil life monitor will tell you when to change, it reads all the data and adjusts accordingly. Stop and go and frequent turning on and off is what lowers oil life. Oil runs at the same temp approx as coolant ie 195 - 210.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies... I did do a quite a bit of stop and go driving while in Los Angeles but it was only for 5 days, so I guess I should be ok. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Proper oil is good for 10000km. Your oil monitor reset is 5000 and according to owners manual it ok if you change oil within 1000km when change oil light come on! Note:don't use dexos2 oil as it for diesel one needs dexos1 gen2!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Proper oil is good for 10000km. Your oil monitor reset is 5000 and according to owners manual it ok if you change oil within 1000km when change oil light come on! Note:don't use dexos2 oil as it for diesel one needs dexos1 gen2!!!
What do you mean by "Your oil monitor reset is 5000" ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts