Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
If your talking about smearing on the outside of the windows up north, its due to the chemicals they mix in with the road salt.

If I don't wash the salt dust off after a few days, I get a smear it is seen more on the glass than the paint, it is most visible if looking through the windshield into the sun.

If you have problems with inside glass smearing, its caused by the plastics inside of the car giving off gases, leaving this whitish film on the inside of the glass.

Where the weather is hot the plastics give off more gases it leaves a whitish film on the window.

The best thing I can tell you to do with inside glass film is leave a window open a little if you can, it would be a good idea to invest in a set of vent shades.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Beeguz hit it right on. I would try to clean it off with some iso-prop alcohol or something to really strip it down though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just be careful cleaning near the top of the windshield, with alcohol, those little dots sort of melt and cause more smearing.

Just use regular window cleaner at the top of the window, on a few cars I ownd I had problems with the little dots making more smearing.

The dots are put there for some sun protection inside the car, the solid black part is so the glass sealer has something to stick to, the sealer used on regular glass tends to let go over time hence the dots and solid black portion..

The dots are called FRIT http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of-the-frit-black-band-and-spots-on-windshield/

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just be careful cleaning near the top of the windshield, with alcohol, those little dots sort of melt and cause more smearing.

Just use regular window cleaner at the top of the window, on a few cars I ownd I had problems with the little dots making more smearing.

The dots are put there for some sun protection inside the car, the solid black part is so the glass sealer has something to stick to, the sealer used on regular glass tends to let go over time hence the dots and solid black portion..

The dots are called FRIT http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of-the-frit-black-band-and-spots-on-windshield/
I've always wondered what those were!! Thank you 0:)0:) Learn something new everyday ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah i also get that smearing on the windows effect. Its gets really annoying cause you have the heat on and can still see all these random smudges. It really effects you when its a really sunny day. You cant see nothing cause of all that smearing affect, it really raises the chances of a bad crash to happen. Even after was the inside of my windows with window cleaner, it still looks shitty on a rainy day or when its sunny out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts