Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, enjoying this forum as a resource and overall loving our new (used)! 2015 trax. So, the ride is...stiff. I’ve lived in the city fir 30 years and this is the most uncomfortable ride I’ve had going over piotholes/bumps in the road. Interstate driving is brutal, actually. I’m looking to upgrade shocks or whatever it needs to be-anyone have this problem or success with improving it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Mine rides pretty nice for a small short wheel base SUV. I find it more comfortable than my wife's Acura TLX. So I'm thinking you must have a problem. Is it AWD or just FWD. Maybe you could go with the Encore shocks which are softer. I have both vehicles and the Encore does ride softer but it might have softer springs too..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, enjoying this forum as a resource and overall loving our new (used)! 2015 trax. So, the ride is...stiff. I’ve lived in the city fir 30 years and this is the most uncomfortable ride I’ve had going over piotholes/bumps in the road. Interstate driving is brutal, actually. I’m looking to upgrade shocks or whatever it needs to be-anyone have this problem or success with improving it? Thanks!
How many miles is your car? Is it maintained on a regular basis? Uncomfortable how so? Is the car too bouncy or? Trying to pinpoint where the issue could possibly be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles is your car? Is it maintained on a regular basis? Uncomfortable how so? Is the car too bouncy or? Trying to pinpoint where the issue could possibly be.
83K, just purchased, appears to have 1 owner, good maintenance.
a pothole feels like it’s breaking the car, the force goes straight up through my neck-no shock absorption at all, compared to old corollas or anything else I’ve driven here. Like running in old converse chuck Taylors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine rides pretty nice for a small short wheel base SUV. I find it more comfortable than my wife's Acura TLX. So I'm thinking you must have a problem. Is it AWD or just FWD. Maybe you could go with the Encore shocks which are softer. I have both vehicles and the Encore those ride softer but it might have softer springs too..
FWD-thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
83K, just purchased, appears to have 1 owner, good maintenance.
a pothole feels like it’s breaking the car, the force goes straight up through my neck-no shock absorption at all, compared to old corollas or anything else I’ve driven here. Like running in old converse chuck Taylors
So, opposite of too bouncy. VERY rigid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2015 with 83K miles and its too bouncy with no shock absorption? Did you buy this from a dealer or a private seller? Could be that you may need some new struts.
Dealer, but not certified. Sorry for confusion-it has NO bounce or shock absorption.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is your tire pressure set at?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got a 2020 Trax LT. I don't mind the ride but my wife thinks it does not ride good. She does not like to ride in it. I've ordered some KYB struts and shocks and also some Buick encore coil springs, front and rear. I will se how that works.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Good luck with that. I have a wife too! Happy wife happy life. But They're never happy. Next she'll complain about the kitchen taps, the dirty looking grout, the bathtub drain. It's going to cost you a fortune. They keep the economy going and we die young because we want to.:LOL:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have received my KYB struts and shocks. They are Excell-G 3357504 and 3357505 for the struts and 3440035 for the rear shocks. I got them from RockAuto $71.95 each for struts and $33 for the shocks. I have received the Buick rear springs part # 95174968 @ $32.03 each. Im waiting on the front Buick springs part # 42673787 @ $35.87 each. I should get them next week. I will let you know how this little expeirment works out as to improved ride quality. I do all my own mechanic work. I restored British Roadsters (Triumphs) back in the day. That was fun. Have a good one.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Then you can scratch that off of the happy to-do list. Hope this works for you and her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put the rear shocks and springs on today. Back in the day I could have had this job done fairly quick. getting old sucks. Took longer than it should have. the springs took a spring compresser to get them back in. I took it for a spin. It seems as Im on the right track. Its already smoothed up a bunch. Im waiting for the front springs to come in. Im glad as my back hurts now.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I did that, happy I did it the way I did it too...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ordered the parts today. I think it looks better as well. Ive got all the parts to finish my smooth ride project. Just havnt got arounf to doing it. My daughter is coming in this weekend so Ill put it off a while longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts