Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is sunny and 80 degrees, perfect time to talk about snowtires :)

I have a 2019 Trax LT with the 205/70R16 tires. There isn't much snow tire selection in that
size, so I was looking to switch to a 215/65R16. It looks like that tire is .1" shorter
and .4" wider. The circumference looks pretty close, so it shouldn't mess up the
speedometer. Anyone running that size tire on their Trax ?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
I'm running that size in a Hankook ipike. I find it a bit wide for the weight of the Trax and tends to ride over snow instead of cutting through it. I don't know if they make a 195/75-16 or not but next time I will try and get this as a replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Traxy. I was thinking of getting 4 studded Altimax Arctic. They worked pretty good on my last
car that was FWD. I'm curious to see what 4 will do on an AWD Trax.

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
Well it's actually front wheel drive and the rear wheels kick in when the traction control detects slippage of the front tires. So 99% of the time in winter you're actually just driving a front wheel drive.

Reactions: Prince Fan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWD is good until you start going up steep hills. Then all that weight starts shifting to the rear wheels which
don't do anything (unless it is AWD). I've seen some AWD systems limit how much torque they put to the rear wheels. I'm hoping the Trax's system will not limit it too much. In 5 months I'll find out :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
So we drive a 2019 Chevy Trax LS front wheel drive and I searched the wed to see what kind of sizes of tires that were available and possible for a Chevy Trax. I found mostly 215/65R/16 or the standard 205/60/16, but they don't make a lot of choices of good solid winter tires in standard size. Well I am here to tell ya I just installed some P225/65R/16s today they fit fine, don't rub, they are close being .8 wider, but yet only .2 or .3 taller I believe. So I just wanted to throw that out there for people to hear and see, because out of all the forums I saw, no one was installing this slightly bigger size on their Trax vehicles which I don't understand because the tire is less than 4 percent different from original.

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
You would be better off with a narrower tire for winter. The Trax is not heavy enough to put 225's, you will find yourself riding over snow instead of cutting through it and keeping rubber on asphalt. I installed 215's and regretted it. Next ones will be 195/75-16 if I still can't find the original size of 205/70-16.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Given the same thread pattern, traction on snow is lbs per sq in. A taller tire is good for snow due to increased ground clearance. The big one is tire width, The narrower the better for traction in snow.
The stock Continentals really are terrible in snow.

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
If you are talking winter tires, this is not recommended. You would lower your Trax to the ground by more than an inch (3.15cms)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm running studded Cooper Discoverer M+S dedicated winter tires in 225/70-16. They are amazing in the snow. I've run them on other vehicles, they have a very short lifespan so they'll come off mid April as my summer General Altimax RT43's are good in the wet slushy stuff if need be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts