Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is sunny and 80 degrees, perfect time to talk about snowtires :)

I have a 2019 Trax LT with the 205/70R16 tires. There isn't much snow tire selection in that
size, so I was looking to switch to a 215/65R16. It looks like that tire is .1" shorter
and .4" wider. The circumference looks pretty close, so it shouldn't mess up the
speedometer. Anyone running that size tire on their Trax ?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
I'm running that size in a Hankook ipike. I find it a bit wide for the weight of the Trax and tends to ride over snow instead of cutting through it. I don't know if they make a 195/75-16 or not but next time I will try and get this as a replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Traxy. I was thinking of getting 4 studded Altimax Arctic. They worked pretty good on my last
car that was FWD. I'm curious to see what 4 will do on an AWD Trax.

·
Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
Well it's actually front wheel drive and the rear wheels kick in when the traction control detects slippage of the front tires. So 99% of the time in winter you're actually just driving a front wheel drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWD is good until you start going up steep hills. Then all that weight starts shifting to the rear wheels which
don't do anything (unless it is AWD). I've seen some AWD systems limit how much torque they put to the rear wheels. I'm hoping the Trax's system will not limit it too much. In 5 months I'll find out :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts