Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this in September 2019 with 55,000 miles. I have normally used top tier fuel, although some purchases have not been with that certification. I didn't look at the tail pipe until about 2 weeks after a road trip (650 miles there, 650 miles back, cruise set at 75). during my trip, i did not use top tier fuel, but I added a bottle of injector/carb cleaner with each fill up. I am wondering if the soot could be from the cleaner I added (or the detergents in the top tier fuel). on 2 consecutive stops during my trip, i smelled a bit of burning oil. I noticed a bit of oil on my driveway a few days ago in addition to some dark material on the transmission/oil pan area. I have an appointment in a few days to have the dealership search for the leak and clean what I think is oil on the trans/oil pan. I don't smell burning oil now, nor do I see blue smoke. oil dipstick shows clean oil and almost full after running. any thoughts? thanks.

Pat

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
Tailpipe looks normal to me but leaking oil in driveway isn't. It may just be leaking at the drain plug. A lot of mechanics over tighten the drain plug. The pan is just cast aluminium, lots of reports of striped threads and cracked pans. The torque is 124 in-lb not ft-lb. It's about 8 ft-lb so a little more than finger tight lol

You show me your tail pipe, I show you mine...:devilish:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts