Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I’ve been chasing a sputtering under medium to heavy acceleration. I first changed the spark plugs and that didn’t help. So I just changed the ignition coil as that keeps coming up and that seemed to have made the problem worse? It might be a coincidence, I haven’t put the old one back on.

By worse I mean it’s almost consistent under medium to heavy acceleration it sputters like it’s hitting a rev limiter at 3500 rpm. Now it’s also having the check engine light come on at the same time, flashing typically. Just now I took it on another test drive and this time a service stablitrak warning came out alongside the check engine light.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? As long as I’m not under medium to heavy acceleration everything works fine.

2019 Chevy trax, new plugs, new ignition coil, new battery. Testing without ac. No stored codes and no stable check engine light.

Edit- I put the original ignition coil back on the car and the check engine light, stablitrak and most the sputtering is gone. It’s back to doing what I was before, sputtering every so often. I suppose the part I got was bad :/ I’m returning it tomorrow to rock auto. I really hope the next ignition coil works and fixes the problem instead of making it worse like this one did.

·
Administrator
2,769 Posts
Probably built up corrosion on the contactors if it's the original coil pack. You may just need a set of contactors and boots. Add dielectric grease inside the boot where it contacts the spark plug. this will restrain moisture from reaching the contactors. This is what 2 of mine looked like after the first winter.

Reactions: Dr.Detroit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably built up corrosion on the contactors if it's the original coil pack. You may just need a set of contactors and boots. Add dielectric grease inside the boot where it contacts the spark plug. this will restrain moisture from reaching the contactors. This is what 2 of mine looked like after the first winter.
I ended up getting another coil and it wasn’t near as bad as the first replacement. It didn’t fix the problem, it might have made it slightly better? But it’s definitely still an issue. I used dielectric grease on both ignition coil installs.
I’m just keep the new ignition coil on for now. I’m going to clean the MAF sensor next and replace the air filter as a last ditch attempt to fix it. Aside from injectors or catalytic converter problems I’m at a loss as to what is causing it.
I don’t want to keep throwing money at it hoping something fixes it so unless someone has any idea what else it could be or unless the MAF sensor fixes it then I’m just going to wait until it throws a code that gets stored in the ECU and go from there.

I can replicate the symptoms pretty consistently, when going up a hill. Giving it enough throttle just before a downshift as its losing speed will usually cause the sputter. Occasionally around 3500-4000 rpm on take off will cause it once I hit 40 mph but that isn’t as consistent. Under all other driving conditions it performs as expected without issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up getting another coil and it wasn’t near as bad as the first replacement. It didn’t fix the problem, it might have made it slightly better? But it’s definitely still an issue. I used dielectric grease on both ignition coil installs.
I’m just keep the new ignition coil on for now. I’m going to clean the MAF sensor next and replace the air filter as a last ditch attempt to fix it. Aside from injectors or catalytic converter problems I’m at a loss as to what is causing it.
I don’t want to keep throwing money at it hoping something fixes it so unless someone has any idea what else it could be or unless the MAF sensor fixes it then I’m just going to wait until it throws a code that gets stored in the ECU and go from there.

I can replicate the symptoms pretty consistently, when going up a hill. Giving it enough throttle just before a downshift as its losing speed will usually cause the sputter. Occasionally around 3500-4000 rpm on take off will cause it once I hit 40 mph but that isn’t as consistent. Under all other driving conditions it performs as expected without issue.

Did you ever get it Figured out? My 2015 Trax is doing the same. Put in an ignition coil and new plugs and still does it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever get it Figured out? My 2015 Trax is doing the same. Put in an ignition coil and new plugs and still does it.
I did not get it figured out yet. Some days are worse than others with how it behaves and until a code is thrown and stays I’m just gonna let it be until something happens.

It’s all guessing at this point to figure it out and I’m not wasting money doing that. I’m assuming it’s a sensor with stablitrak causing the issue, possibly the sensor going bad.

I can make it consistently do it from a stand still, take off with 50-75% throttle and at 35-45 mph it starts the sputter. Which is also the same speed stablitrak automatically turns on once you turn it off manually. That is my best guess as to what is happening, but as far as fixes I have nothing yet.

I have also checked all fluids and filters, replaced them with new ones. Checked to ensure the maf sensor was clean and no obstructions with the intake. Everything is all good on those fronts. I’ve found if it does it just back off the throttle a little and it will stop. Or you can put the foot to the floor and sometimes that makes it stop also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts