Chevy Trax Forum banner

How many of you with 2015 TRAX have experienced this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was experiencing an atrocious sound when I would turn (usually hard) out of the driveway or parking spots in the last week. I brought it into the dealership, to get it looked at. The service representative brought a front end tech to listen to the sound I described and look inside the hood. They immediately said, "do you have a warranty?" (I bought an extended warranty) they said my gears weren't connecting and I could lose steering at any point. Turns out my extended warranty ended July 14, 2020. After talking to my cousin, an experienced mechanic, he explained that these gears should never strip especially on a vehicle with only 81 000kms and 5 years old. I went back to the service rep with my father (a more burly intimidating fellow) and the service rep said that most likely it did strip and that I am not covered under warranty. He also stated that this was not the manufacturer's problem, even though all the sources I read state that it should be on them to replace this part. This should never happen. Help, please! COVID has me so financially stressed, I shut down a small business, I am a teacher and am working through this crisis, and now if they don't fix it need to consider fixing something costly on a vehicle that might not deserve it, but also the idea of purchasing a new vehicle is something I am not prepared for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If others are experiencing this issue which I saw on other forums they are, and GM chooses not to cover. Since this is posing a SERIOUS safety risk with the sudden loss of steering due to mechanical failure, I suggest a lawsuit. Yes, I would love to recoup the cost of the vehicle with depreciation; but at the same time, GM should do a recall on this part because it can cause harm to the driver and to others on the road. This is such a serious liability, I am beyond angry.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
You can't expect that after 6 years you won't need to put repairs on a vehicle, this would be totally unrealistic.

This often happens when people steer the vehicle before it is in movement, this is very hard on the steering rack.
If it's only the steering rack, it's not that expensive to replace. $185.10 and maybe $50 from a good mechanic.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought a '15 in September 2019. Certified Preowned. all codes cleared and no outstanding warranty work. I was not provided with info pertaining to what warranty work was done (if any). Nor did I ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts