Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi am getting a 2016 Chevy Trax LT model tomorrow and want to know what is the standard boost?
Also I see K&N sells the drop in Air filter for the 2016 but the 2015 they use a cone filter, does any one know if the cone filter can work on the 2016 trax?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The max boost I've seen is just under 18psi. Vermont Tuning sells a modified turbo for the Trax/Cruze which has 28psi boost but it requires either methanol/water injection or E85 fuel and a custom tune update.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money on a K&N filter, they don't do anything up front, and they get worse at doing nothing as time go's by.

You would do better with a stock paper drop in, than any new stock washable filter.

The only thing you get out of a cone filter is noise, that noise makes it sound like your engine is running better.

Save yourself some money, spend it somewhere else.

·
Registered
772 Posts
All gauze filters are about the same K&N is well known brand name but the filters are all built about the same way.

K&N filters use a thicker gauze which gives them more filtering than the non brand names, you are better off with a cone paper filter from an old GM car.

Some of the 90's GM V-6's cars had cone filters made of paper they were housed in metal containers to keep them quiet.

If you want a cone filter so badly you can use one of these and get your noise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Some good reading on K&N vs stock air filters... http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
I've used K&N in the past, but after reading many test results like the one above I just replace the filter with a stock one when needed. The Trax is not a dragster (yet), even though the Ecotec engine has been known to achieve over 1000hp...
with heavy modifications from GM racing. That turbo puts out 40psi boost, but I don't think it will fit under the hood of the Trax.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hm... where do you stand on foam filters? Like the three layer foam filters?
Foam filters used to be added to paper filters back in the 60's and 70's.
They were added as a way for the paper filter to last longer and stop more dirt from entering the engine.

At oil changes the foam would be removed from the air filter washed in a solvent then blown dry with compressed air then re-oiled, then slipped over the filter.

I think foam filters are a good idea if they breath as good as paper and they stop the same amount of dust.

I have a foam filter on my shop vac but it does require a paper filter under it to stop the dirt from entering vacuum, it doesn't do a very good job.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Some good reading on K&N vs stock air filters... http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
I've used K&N in the past, but after reading many test results like the one above I just replace the filter with a stock one when needed. The Trax is not a dragster (yet), even though the Ecotec engine has been known to achieve over 1000hp... 1000+hp with heavy modifications from GM racing. That turbo puts out 40psi boost, but I don't think it will fit under the hood of the Trax.
It'll fit... with some minor modification ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts