Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for fixing stone chips on the hood? I only have two or three and they are very tiny (approx .25 inch) but I am wondering if it's worth in going in to the dealership or if I should just grab one of those auto paint pens. :|

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
Yeah I would just touch it up because the minute you leave the dealer you'll pick-up an other chip. You could also get a hood protector. That's what I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out Dr. Colorchip - https://www.drcolorchip.com/ . I've used it and had good luck. It is not cheap, but if done right (and it's not that difficult) the repair is nearly invisible, with no "blob" of paint which might look worse than a chip. There's a tutorial on the website to show you how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
:(They don't ship to Canada...:confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
.25 is not a "small" stone chip. Yes you do definitely want to do something. that is a point of entry for rust to get started and it will only get worse over time. I would not go to a dealer or other body shop as they will have to repaint the whole hood, and as mentioned you will get another chip on the way home from the shop, Murphy's Law.

I just deal with the chips, using touch up pens, if you are careful it will not show much and will look a lot better than any bra that you can put on to "protect" the paint. I have seen what paint looks like once the bra is removed and the bras do more damage than what you are trying to protect from. I have never yet seen any car with a bra that I thought looked good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Once you get those chips fixed up, you should consider getting a 3m stone chip vinyl wrap rather than a traditional and imo ugly, bra. Most of them come with several year warranties and they wont do anything to your factory paint. If you don't do something about those chips early, they are likely to rust. Don't waste your time with the dealership, they're going to suggest a full sanding/re paint of the hood.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
It should be at the bottom of the RPO list sticker in the glove box if you have an Encore an to the left of the spare tire if you have a Trax. Mine is U 633H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts