Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a used 2015 Trax LTZ Turbo on Friday. We drove it home about 130kms mostly highway driving, no problem.
The next day and from now on.. we start it up it's doing this horrible (lack of a better word) siren noise when the car is idling and at low revs. It is sometimes intermittent or like a surging sound.
It got quieter after maybe 45mins of driving, but return when we go slow again. Performance wise the car seems no different.

Tried with the AC off and it still does it.

It's going in to the dealer to have a look tomorrow, but i thought i'd post here as I can't find anything similar as to what it could be!!

Any ideas?

I have video links but i think i'm now allowed because i'm new? :(

thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think I hear the same noise on my Buick Encore, it sounds much like a power steering pump that is low on fluid.

My Buick has less than 3K miles on it, I'm not really worried about it, if I find out what it is I will let you know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check to see if it's the power steering fluid.. just go from full lock to full lock the opposite way. Maybe it's the belt?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 1.4l turbo Trax has electric power steering. I was thinking alternator whine from what he described.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Since I heard the noise that one time I haven't heard it since, I know the car has electric power steering, its just that the noise I heard sounded like a power steering pump, that is low on fluid.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
There's a bulletin on this and the solution is to change the damper pulley. Had it done to my Encore and my daughters Encore under warranty and bought the damper outright for my salvage Trax. It has to do with the cut grooves not perfectly matching the serpentine ribs. My daughter's Buick was the worst one, it sounded like an old Dodge power steering whining. Pretty annoying when you just paid 40 grand Cdn for a vehicle.

GM # 55574772

·
Registered
772 Posts
If it is only a belt noise then I won't bother with it, on my car, I can barely hear it when it makes noise at all.

If it was loud then I would change the damper, or get a belt to match the pulley.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
The noise is so slight I wouldn't bother with it, you have to be in a dead quiet of a garage to hear it if I hear it at all.

I just wondered what is was, as long as I know its not causing any problems.

If I do decide to keep this car past 10K miles I might go up to the dealer where I bought it and try to get it under warranty if not I will let the next owner deal with it.

I recently drove a Subaru, I thought I found my next car when I discovered that they still had a manual trans, all across their range.
I did think I found my next car until I took it for a drive, it was slooow, very slooooow, well so much for Subaru.

Looks like Mazda might be the next, not sure if I want the tiny CX3 or its bigger brother the CX5, it will be in good company next to my Mx5 I', liking Mazda cars more and more.

I never owned a Mazda until about 7 years ago I bought a 91 Miata, after owing that car, I bought 8 more, they were great little cars I had alot of fun repairing them then selling them.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Maybe yours was changed by previous owner.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Maybe yours was changed by previous owner.
There were no other owners I bought it new March of 16, I haven't been back to that dealer since so I know nothing was done to it.,

I did hear the noise once it was faint, that is why I really didn't care that much about changing it.

I listened this morning I could hear nothing.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Maybe the dealer noticed the issue at delivery inspection and did the bulletin. Have you checked the pre-delivery service details? Mine had a new windshield put in before I bought it with 3 Kms on the odometer. Probably facing forward on the delivery truck, these aren't protected like Audi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a slight wiring noise at idle and low rpms.
It sounded to me like a bad bearing but it's not too bad.

Could this be the pulley?

Does it affect the 2017 model Trax?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a slight wiring noise at idle and low rpms.
It sounded to me like a bad bearing but it's not too bad.

Could this be the pulley?

Does it affect the 2017 model Trax?
Yes this is your noise if you can find the TSB, before you go to the dealer that way your armed with the info and number.

I did a quick look I couldn't come up with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Don't know if there is a Bulletin but the dealer will change upon complaint. They did my daughter's Encore and mine. Hers was way worse than mine, it sounded like an old Dodge power steering pump.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you go in armed with the TSB # its harder for dealers say no to do a warranty repair.

Not all dealers will give someone a hard time over a covered warranty repair.

They are dealers that would charge customers then pocket the warranty repair money from GM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts