Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 50K miles of no problems on my 2015 Trax and suddenly, after being parked for 4 days, it’s coming up with the traction control light and check engine light that periodically flashes. OnStar shows codes C0561 and P0300.

It’s running very rough and has barely any acceleration at low RPMs. The car shakes and shimmy’s like I’m driving over potholes when I try to accelerate.

I’m far from home in NYC and do not look forward to being taken to the cleaners in repairs up here. Joy.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Kinda sounds like squirrels got to your wires and chewed a few.

C0561 System disabled information stored. This code relates to wheel speed sensors and reason for your traction control light being ''ON''

P0300 is a multiple misfire. Reason for engine running rough. You are going to need to get the P0300 cleared and repaired before you head home. Any corner garage can probably help you with this. Traction Control can wait til you get home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

C0561 System disabled information stored. This code relates to wheel speed sensors and reason for your traction control light being ''ON''

P0300 is a multiple misfire. Reason for engine running rough. You are going to need to get the P0300 cleared and repaired before you head home. Any corner garage can probably help you with this. Traction Control can wait til you get home.

Thanks for the info. I'm headed back to NYC in a couple days to take the car in to see someone - either a Chevy dealer or an independent place that I got recommendation for.

Just in case, before I left in a rental car yesterday, I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 2:45 just in case there was a computer problem - but that didn't help at all.

I figure either way, they're going to try to take advantage of a southern gal. Will try to think positively.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The car should be under the powertrain warranty if it is major engine damage.

Electrical or fuel issues you will have to pay.

How is the charge on your battery?

Might be a bad coil pack or shorted spark plug , that would not be covered but not too expensive.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When a battery starts to fail in one of these modern cars it sets off all kinds of stupid lights and warnings that mean nothing.

I heard of someone that went round and round with a bunch of lights and in the end replacing the battery was the answer to the problem.

Have the battery checked make sure they do a complete test, not just clean the cables, it must be checked to see if it will pass a load test.

The car that had the problem was a Cadillac almost every light came on, after replacing the battery the car went back to normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone’s input. I just returned from NYC after getting it fixed. It was an “exploded” coil. I was barely running on 3 cylinders. The mechanic said that the traction control automatically comes on in these situations.

He said that it could have a situation where the PCV valve lost vacuum or something like that and that would have been a dealer fix because the PCV valve is attached to the engine (Jiffy Lube must be crying). I’m just glad I didn’t have to go to Dealer because the Yelp reviews were extremely uncomplimentary.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm happy you got it repaired sounds like you found someone that understands this engine.

These new cars are getting more strange to me by the minute, I think it would make more sense to buy a rebuilt old car with some new tech to make it better than it was.

Maybe just go back to the beginning of the tech revolution late 80's and early 90's cars are not as tech heavy as the new cars.

The problem with the 80's and 90's cars is they are not that collectable so there are not that many up for grabs in great condition.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Thanks for everyone’s input. I just returned from NYC after getting it fixed. It was an “exploded” coil. I was barely running on 3 cylinders. The mechanic said that the traction control automatically comes on in these situations.

He said that it could have a situation where the PCV valve lost vacuum or something like that and that would have been a dealer fix because the PCV valve is attached to the engine (Jiffy Lube must be crying). I’m just glad I didn’t have to go to Dealer because the Yelp reviews were extremely uncomplimentary.
Only one thing puzzles me about your problem and I'm glad a local garage was able to help you out.
What bugs me is instead of a P0300 you should have had a P030* ( * being the cylinder with the bad coil ) Example P0301 Would have pointed you to cylinder 1 coil or spark plug. Perplexing a bit.:nerd:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only one thing puzzles me about your problem and I'm glad a local garage was able to help you out.
What bugs me is instead of a P0300 you should have had a P030* ( * being the cylinder with the bad coil ) Example P0301 Would have pointed you to cylinder 1 coil or spark plug. Perplexing a bit.:nerd:

That would have been helpful because I'm tempted to get the other 3 fixed, but I don't know which one was fixed. I would imagine my shop could tell though.

Interestingly, I spoke with my shop about whether I should I replace the other 3 and they recommended to wait until the manufacturer recommended sparkplug replacement and do it then.

They looked it up and Chevrolet recommends replacing the sparkplugs at 55K. I'm about 3K from that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It seems the coil pack is for all 4 cylinders and the prices vary between brands.

I would buy the cheaper brand simply because many of these parts are just branded by whoever is selling them.

The part inside the box is made by the same manufacturer, its just the box you are paying for the brand name.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2016/chevrolet/trax/engine_electrical/ignition_coil.html

This is only one of the sellers I buy parts from, you could buy an original off a low mile salvaged car for less keep one as a spare if you feel the need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this happen on my 2015 Holden (same as Chevy) Trax. Was working fine one moment and they the check engine light a traction control light came on. Very rough and no power. Check the codes and it came up with a P0302 error.

Certainly sounds like the coil pack bought the farm. I'm going to try to get it replaced under warranty. Worse case is I'll get it diagnosed properly and then just fix it myself. Saves me from having to spend an extra 250+ on labour when it's clearly a 5 minute job. From what I can gather it's been a very common problem on the 1.8 litre engines every since they came out back in 2009.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago, mine put out the code P0301. It wasn't the coil pack itself but the spring contacts. You can buy these separately if the coil isn't damaged. Two of mine were bad.

When removing the coil pack you have to pull it straight up. Don't pull one end first or you'll snap the tubes like I did on this one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was an “exploded” coil. I was barely running on 3 cylinders.
Easy repair. When you have these symptoms:
it’s coming up with the traction control light and check engine light that periodically flashes. OnStar shows codes C0561 and P0300. It’s running very rough and has barely any acceleration at low RPMs. The car shakes and shimmy’s like I’m driving over potholes when I try to accelerate. I was barely running on 3 cylinders.
check first the 25198623 Ignition Coil and second check the spark plugs 55585517 Spark Plug, in DIY terms it's about 100 US $ for the coil, and 10$(max) for every spark plug(you may not need them).
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-parts/2015/chevrolet/trax/ltz-trim/1-4l-l4-gas-engine/electrical-cat/ignition-system-scat

How to(replace ignition coil or/and spark plugs):

Replacement, ignition coil only, similar to Astra H, watch from 0:55 time:

Usually the ignition coil gives you headaches because of the high humidity, condensate or because of the spark plugs, that had to be changed at 35k miles and it was not done. Change the spaks every 20-25k miles(in severe conditions) or the ignition coil will die. Change the spark plugs every 35-40k miles of highway driving or the ignition coil will die.
The original ignition coil is Delphi, there are replacements from ACDelco, Hitachi and others. It is said that the original one is not the best and there are better aftrmarket options.
Delphi, for 1.8 liter engine, for 1.4 turbo the part number is DELPHI GN10401-12B1:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/462059317286143553/

The new coil for 1.4 turbo looks like that:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/477644894609866756/

Here you can see the damage on the coil(unidentified cause, maybe sparks, maybe water), 1.8L:
https://a.d-cd.net/6083836s-960.jpg

Here you can see the damage on the coil(unidentified cause, maybe sparks, maybe water), 1.4L turbo:
https://a.d-cd.net/6cd7b69s-1920.jpg

Sparks should be like these, AC Delco 19347370(or other brand, but similar design), 1.4 turbo:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/479302133510832491/

Ignition coil repair kit(includes the spring contacts), does not help much when the ignition coil is dead, but some people try it when the spring contacts are "expired", 1.4 Turbo:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7177853/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 50K miles of no problems on my 2015 Trax and suddenly, after being parked for 4 days, it’s coming up with the traction control light and check engine light that periodically flashes. OnStar shows codes C0561 and P0300.

It’s running very rough and has barely any acceleration at low RPMs. The car shakes and shimmy’s like I’m driving over potholes when I try to accelerate.

I’m far from home in NYC and do not look forward to being taken to the cleaners in repairs up here. Joy.

I had this happen yesterday! The dealership called today, let me know it needs 4 new spark plugs and an ignition coil. Will be ~500. (100 of which was just to read the codes 🙄)

·
Registered
1 Posts

So how much does this fix cost and exactly causes it

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Depends on your actual problem, I paid $125 Cdn ($90USd) for the coil. A pack of ACDelco 41-121 dual iridium plugs will cost you $45-$50 Cdn ($35-$40 USd)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A new coil cost me $265 in Queens, NY three years ago. If memory serves, I think it was all one unit so all 4 coils are replaced at a time - if I understand it correctly - which I may not...lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts