Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here. My wife has a 2017 Trax LS. When her brother borrowed her car, he backed in to a trailer, and smashed the passenger side tail light.
Whatever... no biggie. I'll order anew one and replace it, right? Except I've ordered 2 now, both claim to be exact fit. But the wiring is different. Mine has a 6-pin plug, the replacement has an 8 pin plug. I've had 2 mechanics look into it, and all sources we've found don't show an alternate. Anyone come across this? I'm curious as to what you guys have in your vehicles... The first 2 pics are what I have, the last pic is what I keep getting as the replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Did you try taking the harness from your old light and putting on the new taillight? They keep sending you taillights from 16 down. In 17 the harness changed but I believe the housing it the same. So just undo all the bulbs from your original housing and put it in the new housing. Keep track of which one goes where. Take a few pictures before you start in case you screw up. GM#42435956

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Traxy.
Thats a no-go. The older style (through 2016) has 5 bulbs, the 2017 and newer only has 4. And some of the mounting holes for the bulbs are different sizes. I might have to bite the bullet and order an OEM for $250+. I was hoping I could get an aftermarket one, which are under $100. Funny thing, I called my dealer where I bought the car from, and even he is having a hard time finding the right model number. I'm sure they're out there though.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
If only there was a boneyard nearby with an older model Trax, probably get away under $50 for a new-to-you pair.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
I just remembered something, there's 2 models for the 2017 year. That's when the "facelift" happened mid-year on production, so they probably do think you have the right assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum here. My wife has a 2017 Trax LS. When her brother borrowed her car, he backed in to a trailer, and smashed the passenger side tail light.
Whatever... no biggie. I'll order anew one and replace it, right? Except I've ordered 2 now, both claim to be exact fit. But the wiring is different. Mine has a 6-pin plug, the replacement has an 8 pin plug. I've had 2 mechanics look into it, and all sources we've found don't show an alternate. Anyone come across this? I'm curious as to what you guys have in your vehicles... The first 2 pics are what I have, the last pic is what I keep getting as the replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 3250 View attachment 3253 View attachment 3251
I gave up and bought the GM part yesterday, had the right connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts