Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious to know how many people are regularly using the tap up and tap down feature with the automatic transmission in manual mode. What have you found to be the best technique for the smoothest operation of the vehicle when using this feature?

I’ve driven cars with manual transmissions for many years, but this tap up and tap down thing on the automatic seems to be something a bit different.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
I use it all the time. it doesn't always work like I would like it to work but all-in-all it does part of what I need. What I don't like is that it up revs before a downshift. It makes the Trax jurk ahead before kicking in.

·
Super Moderator
294 Posts
I don't mind it personally, but coming from a 5-speed Subaru it takes some getting used to. I found there's a bit of delay from when you press the button to when it actually shifts, like if you want it to shift at the general 3000 rpm range, you have to hit the button around 2700 rpm. The revv8ng on downshift is perfectly fine with me, since you usually have to rev-match to keep the car from bucking in a manual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The tap up/down is merely a suggestion or request to the computer. It will still shift up or down as it sees fit even though you are in "manual" mode. It is noting like having a manual trans that only does what it is told.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts